Posted to jdo-dev@db.apache.org by Michelle Caisse <mc...@sonic.net> on 2011/10/21 06:55:09 UTC

JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Oct 21, 9 am Pacific Time

Hi,

   We will have our regular meeting Friday, October 21 at 9 am Pacific
Time to discuss JDO TCK issues and status.

   Dial-in numbers are:
   US Toll free: 866 682-4770
   Germany Frankfurt 069222216106
   Germany Toll free: 08006648515
   (Other countries by request)

   To place the call:
   1. Call the toll free number.
   2. Enter the conference number 939-3689#
   3. Enter the security code 1111#

   Agenda:

   1.  JDO 3.0.1 release - any followup required
   2.  Review recently added JIRA issues
   3.  Other issues

   Action Items from weeks past:

   [April 8 2011] AI Craig comment on
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-617 re the utility of the
update operator.
   [Sep 23 2011] AI Michael prepare spec update for JDOQL changes
(JDO-658) and document restrictions on Enum.ordinal and Enum.toString.
Create new JIRA for Math methods in JDOQL.
   [Sep 23 2011] AI Michael document when changing dependencies (to
DataNucleus) it's necessary to rebuild the exectck project before
running tck.

Re: Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Oct 21, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by Andy Jefferson <an...@datanucleus.org>.
> One question about running JDOQL queries on of MongoDB: is there any
> chance to figure out whether a specific JDOQL query is pushed to MongoDB
> or evaluated in memory? Do I find any info about this is the DataNucleus
> log files (having the right log level)?

Log at DEBUG will show the MongoDB "query" filter. Should be clear from that if
all components of the JDOQL are in the datastore query.

An example
JDOQL : SELECT FROM org.jpox.samples.models.company.Person WHERE firstName ==
'Daffy' && personNum < 3

Fetching instances of collection Person fields={ "age" : 1 , "birthDate" : 1 ,
"emailAddress" : 1 , "firstName" : 1 , "globalNum" : 1 , "lastName" : 1 ,
"personNum" : 1} with filter={ "firstName" : "Daffy" , "personNum" : { "$lt" :
3}}

In this case the "filter" is complete, hence nothing to do in-memory. The
"fields" part of that line are the fields retrieved (i.e DFG)

--
Andy
DataNucleus (http://www.datanucleus.org)

Re: Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Oct 21, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by Michael Bouschen <mi...@akquinet.de>.
Hi Andy,

thanks for info and the link, this is really helpful.

One question about running JDOQL queries on of MongoDB: is there any
chance to figure out whether a specific JDOQL query is pushed to MongoDB
or evaluated in memory? Do I find any info about this is the DataNucleus
log files (having the right log level)?

Regards Michael

--
*Michael Bouschen*
*Prokurist*

akquinet tech@spree GmbH
Bülowstr. 66, D-10783 Berlin

Fon:   +49 30 235 520-33
Fax:   +49 30 217 520-12
Email: michael.bouschen@akquinet.de
Web: www.akquinet.de <http://www.akquinet.de>

akquinet tech@spree GmbH, Berlin
USt.-Id. Nr.: DE 225 964 680

Re: Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Oct 21, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by Andy Jefferson <an...@datanucleus.org>.

Posted by Matthew Adams <ma...@matthewadams.me>.
Cool!

Sent from mobile device. Responses brief.

Posted by Michael Bouschen <mi...@akquinet.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michelle Caisse, Michael Bouschen, Craig Russell

  Agenda:

  1.  JDO 3.0.1 release - any followup required

  2.  Review recently added/updated JIRA issues

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-647 still need to
investigate why log files are not created per configuration.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-658 looks done except for
the spec update.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-698 waiting on JDO-700
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-700 may be because there is
a new package for a pc test class?

   3.  Other issues

Michael reports that he's using DataNucleus with MongoDB and it's
sweet that everything, including JDOQL seems to work fine!

  Action Items from weeks past:

  [April 8 2011] AI Craig comment on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-617
  re the utility of the update operator.
  [Sep 23 2011] AI Michael prepare spec update for JDOQL changes
(JDO-658) and document restrictions on Enum.ordinal and Enum.toString.
Create new JIRA for Math methods in JDOQL.
  [Sep 23 2011] AI Michael document when changing dependencies (to
DataNucleus) it's necessary to rebuild the exectck project before
running tck.

Craig L Russell
Architect, Oracle
http://db.apache.org/jdo
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@oracle.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Nov 10, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michael Bouschen, Matthew Adams, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1.  JDO 3.0.1 release is available for testing!

The release was voted and is now pending turning the crank. AI Matthew
ship it.

Matthew will need to update the KEYS file for the db project. AI Craig
send link for how to do it.

2.  New feature idea http://osdir.com/ml/jdo-dev-db-apache/2011-11/msg00002.html

More detail is still needed on the proposal.

3. Other issues

What about setting up Facebook page, Google+ account, Twitter?

Matthew volunteered to set up some social networking for JDO.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-696 Throw an exception if an
unrecognized property with "javax.jdo" prefix. Should the test be case
sensitive? Probably not.

Re: Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Nov 3, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Hi Tim,

On Nov 8, 2011, at 10:50 AM, tgallagher@mmm.com wrote:

> Craig,
>
> Thanks for the minutes write up.
>
> I've been going through the JDO API in more detail and in order to
> implement the QBE and get the changed information for a JavaBean, it
> appears to require that an object not be in the Transient state.
> However,
> the objects I see being created for the QBE will always be in the
> Transient state.  To make this work in the Transient state, this would
> required that there be a StateManager associated with the JavaBean.

That is the purpose of makeTransactional. This API associates a
StateManager with the transient object.

Then we need to see what other APIs will help you to use the
information that is known by the StateManager.

Hope this helps,

Craig

Posted by tg...@mmm.com.
Craig,

Thanks for the minutes write up.

I've been going through the JDO API in more detail and in order to
implement the QBE and get the changed information for a JavaBean, it
appears to require that an object not be in the Transient state.  However,
the objects I see being created for the QBE will always be in the
Transient state.  To make this work in the Transient state, this would
required that there be a StateManager associated with the JavaBean.  So,
I'm looking at the implication of associating a StateManager with a
JavaBean while in the Transient state and the effect it might have if a
developer than happens to try and make the JavaBean persistent.  This will
take a little longer than I had hoped.

Tim Gallagher

Clinical & Economic Research
3M Health Information Systems
5000 Buttercup Drive
Castle Rock, CO 80109

Phone: (303) 814-3867

From:
Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>
To:
jdo-dev@db.apache.org
Cc:
jdo-experts-ext@sun.com
Date:
11/04/2011 12:36 PM
Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Nov 3, 9 am Pacific Time

Reminder: Next week's meeting will be in Standard Time not Daylight
Savings Time.

Attendees: Tim Gallagher, Michelle Caisse, Michael Bouschen, Matthew
Adams, Craig Russell

  Agenda:

  1.  JDO 3.0.1 release is available for testing!

Everyone please at least download this release.

  2.  New feature idea
http://osdir.com/ml/jdo-dev-db-apache/2011-11/msg00002.html

Seems like a reasonable idea. We might add a method to JDOHelper
similar to makeDirty. Other interfaces may need to be enhanced as
well. AI Tim write up more detailed proposal.

  3.  Other issues

JDO-699 looks good. Speak now or this will be done.

  Action Items from weeks past:

  [April 8 2011] AI Craig comment on
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-617
  re the utility of the update operator.
  [Sep 23 2011] AI Michael prepare spec update for JDOQL changes
(JDO-658) and document restrictions on Enum.ordinal and Enum.toString.
Create new JIRA for Math methods in JDOQL.

Done!

JDO TCK Conference Call Friday,Nov 3, 9 am Pacific Time [TIME CHANGE IN SOME REGIONS]

Posted by Michelle Caisse <mc...@sonic.net>.
Hi,

  We will have our regular meeting Friday, November 3 at 9 am Pacific
Time to discuss JDO TCK issues and status.
The US goes off of daylight savings time NEXT week.
In those regions that have already gone off of daylight savings time,
the meeting will be ONE HOUR EARLIER than normal this week.

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Oct 28, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
NOTE: Daylight Savings ends next week for everyone outside the USA.

Attendees: Michelle Caisse, Matthew Adams, Michael Bouschen, Craig
Russell

Agenda:

1.  JDO 3.0.1 release issues

The 3.0.1 api test now fails. Solution: merge some of the trunk fixes
into the branch before release.

2.  Spec updates for JDOQL : Support for further methods (String,
Enum, Date, JDOHelper) https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-658

Looks good.

3.  Other issues

JDO-700 was fixed. Good job.

What about archiving the obsolete projects? Maybe move e.g. api11,
api2-legacy, etc. from trunk to a new archive directory?