Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Trent Larson <la...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/17 00:00:43 UTC

How can I share text resources with multiple web applications?

I have 2 web applications, and I would like to allow them to share the same
text files.  The only way I've found is to make each WebApplication class
extend a common ParentApplication class and make a
ParentApplication.properties file to contain the common text; then I package
the common ParentApplication class and properties in a separate jar project
and include that in each of the web projects.  This works great in Eclipse
in an exploded environment; unfortunately, it looks like it does not work
when I include the ParentApplication artifacts inside a separate jar.  I get
the following error:

Caused by: java.util.MissingResourceException: Unable to find property: '
squeeze.presented.by' for component:  [class=com.max.web.page.bizopp1Page]
        at org.apache.wicket.Localizer.getString(Localizer.java:269)

Is there any way to make this work?  Is there another approach where I can
share the text between these projects?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Trent

Re: How can I share text resources with multiple web applications?

Posted by Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca>.
I get that, and thinks its a wonderful feature of Wicket...
for Maven, the html is in the same package as the java source, but
maven organized the content in a logical way.

So, I make the statement that:
Wicket takes the exact same view of resources as Maven does.

- Brill

Posted by James Carman <jc...@carmanconsulting.com>.
It's not forcing you to put your stuff there.  It merely *also* allows
you to put it there.  It's also easy to remove (perhaps we could add a
comment saying to remove it if they want).

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
Ant is for n00bz... real men use commandline cp and javac, or if
you're really good just type in byte code directly.

Martijn

Posted by Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca>.
Laugh.

Don't start that now!

- Brill Pappin
   Sent from my mobile.

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca>.
Ahh... yes of course.

Posted by James Carman <jc...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca>.
Re: "The quickstart allows both."
Does it? I missed that feature but it would be very handy!

The only doc I see is the one at:
http://wicket.apache.org/quickstart.html

What options do i pass to get it to do that?

Posted by James Carman <jc...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca>.
On 20-Mar-09, at 11:51 AM, Martijn Dashorst wrote:

> I don't want that. If someone is anal about what maven is expecting,
> then it is their problem. I am in the business of making the best
> wicket development experience, from a Wicket perspective. We're using
> maven as a tool, we're not in the business of supplying maven with new
> users.

I'm using Wicket as a tool as well, there is no difference in the
semantics and Maven is not in the business of supplying Wicket with
new users, so what exactly is your point in the above paragraph?

> Putting all resources that belong to a component in the same physical
> folder as the component .java file is a best practice for Wicket
> users, even newbies. Doing it in any other way is opening the door to
> the nine hells of Maven usage and resource location.

I don't disagree that its a useful pattern, however what are "the nine
hells of Maven usage and resource location"? The whole point of src/
main/resoruces is that you always know where the resources are!
Like I said, there is no reason to get upset about it, I don't use the
archetype because I don't want it to do all the extra stuff it does,
that I then have to clean up.

In fact there have been several instances where having the resources
and java separate has been helpful to me and the folks I work with. If
an example is needed, the case were the HTML must be delivered to non
programmers and then reintegrated is a good one. Most of us don't work
alone and the fact of the matter is that you very often have different
people that have to work separately on the same project. Having the
separate folders for the parts made that situation easy to handle.

It really doesn't matter much in a modern development environment like
Eclipse... the view to the project is that they are in the same place,
because they are in the same package. Even the Wicket Bench plugin
(when it worked) didn't care if they were physically separated in the
filesystem.

> I really don't want the archetype to do anything else than it
> currently does, nor document such a way. The Official Wicket Way (tm)
> is to put all source files relating to a single unit of work in one
> package, in the same physical folder. If you decide to do it
> otherwise, it is not The Official Wicket Way. Feel free to disagree,
> but do it somewhere else, and in your own private projects.

Cut the crap Martijin. What kind of a silly thing is that to say?
Times and technology change... how are the users of wicket going to
decide how it should be changed to make it better unless they can talk
about it, or even argue about it?
I have the right to discuss or argue a point in the public user list,
and in the spirit that this software is developed and released, even
if you don't like it.

Now,  lets be clear in what I have said:
- At no point did I ask that it be changed. If I had there would be an
issue in Jira to go with it.
- I did say that I didn't want to use it that way and thought the way
it worked was backward (and took longer to fix than it was worth).
- I said I though the default should be the other way, and that the
archetype could do with the option to do the maven standard thing or
the wicket thing.
- I also said that my statements where my opinion.
- and i said that I did not think that having the html and source in
the same physical place was necessarily wrong and that it is a useful
pattern that i use myself.

- Brill

Re: How can I share text resources with multiple web applications?

Posted by Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca>.
Now there is a sensible argument!

I've been thinking of doing that exact thing for clarity as the
project gets big, where the integral HTML files that have a 1:1
relationship to the code stay in the src/main/java and the other
resources that are *not* required for operation (like the property
files) to be in the src/main/resources directory.
I'm thinking that it is a bit more true to the component per package
type of pattern rather than the function per package that is common in
Java.
However I have found it useful sometimes to have the html in a
separate place, such as in passing it around outside the scope of the
code to non-programmers.

I won't lose any sleep over it though, its six of one and half a dozen
of the other.

- Brill

BTW - I don't think we need to vote on anything ;)
at least I wasn't calling for a vote...

Posted by John Krasnay <jo...@krasnay.ca>.

Posted by Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca>.

SV: How can I share text resources with multiple web applications?

Posted by Wilhelmsen Tor Iver <To...@arrive.no>.
> There is no sane reason why anyone would put the html, js,
> css and properties resources in any place except *next* to
> the corresponding.java file. Your .java file can not function
> without the .html file. Your component will fail if the
> .properties file is not available. When the js file can't be
> found your component is useless.

Correct for the *runtime* view of files, and a Maven build will combine
the packages in src/main/java and src/main/resources so that the two are
merged.

What Maven likes, however is that at *coding* and *building* time that
the Java source files, and their related resources, are in different
root folders. The main reasons I have seen for this is resource
filtering and support for multiple resource folders (sharing resources
between projects for instance).

> Wicket goes beyond the call of duty to provide developers
> with the means to encapsulate your components, bringing
> Object Oriented design and programming to the web tier.

Yes, but that's salesman talk. :) And is not at all affected by Maven's
preferences.

> Moving the necessary resources outside the package folder
> into a separate directory structure breaks this encapsulation
> is definitely not the Wicket Way (tm).

It retains the package structure, but the packages start out in two (or
more) different root folders when coding, being merged in the build
process.

Re: How can I share text resources with multiple web applications?

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca>.
But thats not a fix, thats adding crap to my build I don't want or need.
Maven allows you to do things like that, because frankly no one would
use it if it didn't... have you ever tried to port a legacy app to
Maven?

There is no "assumption" here. See:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-standard-directory-layout.html

Anyway, I didn't mean to start a war here... the poor guy asked a
simple question which I responded to with a standard answer for how
Maven works.
  (hmm... did the archetype confuse some new Wicket user again?)

- Brill

Posted by James Carman <jc...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Wilhelmsen Tor Iver <To...@arrive.no>.

Posted by Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca>.
chuckle,
semantics :)

However as a long time maven user, I expect it to do one thing and it
does another.
I prefer my content separate and so I don't use the archetype because
it takes too long to fix the module and remove all the un-needed
additions than it does to just create the module by hand.

As I said before, maybe it should be optional.

- Brill

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.

Posted by Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca>.

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.

Posted by James Carman <jc...@carmanconsulting.com>.
On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca> wrote:
> On the subject of the archetype though, it *should* be doing the maven
> standard thing by default... maybe offering you a choice but the default
> should be into the resources directory.

I didn't like it at first, being a maven user, but it does make
development easier to have your markup files next to your source code.

Re: How can I share text resources with multiple web applications?

Posted by Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca>.
I understand why you do it, and don't even think its such a bad thing
(it's a very agile like approach), however I prefer them separate as a
means to keep any individual package clean and orderly as the two
parts really do serve different purposes and except initially, are
maintained at different times in different ways.

By all means, keep them in the same physical location but Maven users
will look for resources in the resources directory and maybe curse you
just a little bit when they don't find them there :) Not a big deal...

On the subject of the archetype though, it *should* be doing the maven
standard thing by default... maybe offering you a choice but the
default should be into the resources directory.

IMO of course.

- Brill

Posted by Jonathan Locke <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luther Baker <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jonathan,

Posted by Jonathan Locke <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca>.
Yes I know, and I have to undo all its extra crap and move the files
to the right place every time...
Its annoying enough that I don't really use it any more because it
takes twice as long to get things back to were they should be than it
does to just create the darn module.

- brill

Posted by James Carman <jc...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca>.