Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/31 19:43:26 UTC

[DISCUSS] Dropping support for Camel 2.7.x

When we release Camel 2.9.0 (expected in the next days) and start working
on Camel 2.10, I would like to cut a new release from the camel-2.7.x
branch which will be in my opinion the last Camel 2.7 release because we
discussed to support the two privios relases which then are Camel 2.8 and
2.9.

What do you think?

Happy new year!
Christian

Sent from a mobile device

Re: [DISCUSS] Dropping support for Camel 2.7.x

Posted by Jon Anstey <ja...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good to me.

+1

--
Cheers,
Jon

Re: [DISCUSS] Dropping support for Camel 2.7.x

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
Ok, I made some progress:
Camel parent pom 2.7.5-SNAPSHOT use org.apache.apache pom version 8. It
enables the profile 'apache-release' when we execute the release plugin.
The 'maven-gpg-plugin' which is also configured there use the placeholder
${gpg.passphrase} to obtain the password. My settings file now looks as
below:
    <profile>
      <id>apache-release</id>
        <properties>
        <gpg.passphrase>XXX</gpg.passphrase>
      </properties>
    </profile>

Now it fails in the ':maven-checkstyle-plugin'. But I can handle this by me
own... ;-)

Thanks for your help guys,
Christian

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 9:28 PM, Christian Müller <

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

--
Daniel Kulp

Re: [DISCUSS] Dropping support for Camel 2.7.x

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
I fighted the entire weekend with two failing unit tests you can find
below. Instead of disabling the tests I tried to fix them, but without luck
until now (we don't have any rush with the Camel 2.7.4 release). Any help
to fix these issues are very appreciated. I'm running the Camel 2.7.3 unit
tests to see whether these issues are introduced in this release or not.

[1] org.apache.camel.component.file.FileProduceAppendTest.testAppendFile
[2]
org.apache.camel.processor.ThrottlingInflightRoutePolicyContextScopeTest.testThrottlingRoutePolicy

Keep your posted.
Christian

Re: [DISCUSS] Dropping support for Camel 2.7.x

Posted by Babak Vahdat <ba...@swissonline.ch>.
Thanks Christian!

Babak

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Babak Vahdat <ba...@swissonline.ch>.
Hi Christian

Thanks for the update of the Wiki. In case anything should not be clear
regarding the princexml stuff then please let me know.

FYI just in the case you have not noticed it already, Hadrian as already
marked the ticket [1] as fixed with following comment:

Hadrian Zbarcea added a comment - 05/Jan/12 14:11

The release dryRun went fine on osx. I have no reason to believe it won't
work on other platforms. I will mark this issue as resolved...

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I have a similar setup and and I set <gpg.password> only during a
release. For some reason <gpg.useagent> didn't work for me (but last
time I tried was a couple of years back). Some of the properties (like
maven.test.skip.exec) are not necessary for camel, they are already
defined in the poms.

Christian, if you don't mind I could release 2.7.5. Babak's patch seems
to help and I did commit it on all branches. I am doing a dryRun release
now on my mac, but it'll probably take a couple of hours before I'll
know more.

Cheers,
Hadrian

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

--
Daniel Kulp

Re: [DISCUSS] Dropping support for Camel 2.7.x

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hello Babak!

Posted by Babak Vahdat <ba...@swissonline.ch>.
Hi again Christian,

Posted by Babak Vahdat <ba...@swissonline.ch>.
Hi Christian,

did you see my previous post on this Thread? That would be really great if
you could give it a try while running a dry run of release. BTW I couldn't
catch up with Hadrian on irc chat so why I ask you.

The other option would be if you could postpone this friday release until
Hadrian has tested the patch.

Babak

Re: [DISCUSS] Dropping support for Camel 2.7.x

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, make sense.

Best,
Christian

Posted by Jon Anstey <ja...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, agreed. Like we even still have the 1.x branch there. No harm in
keeping them around IMO.

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Saturday, December 31, 2011 7:43:26 PM Christian Müller wrote:
> > When we release Camel 2.9.0 (expected in the next days) and start working
> > on Camel 2.10, I would like to cut a new release from the camel-2.7.x
> > branch which will be in my opinion the last Camel 2.7 release because we
> > discussed to support the two privios relases which then are Camel 2.8 and
> > 2.9.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> I'm OK with dropping planned support for 2.7.x.  However, we should keep
> the
> branch in place and the Jenkins builds setup (maybe disabled, but really,
> if
> there are no svn commits on the branch, they shouldn't trigger) so that if
> we
> do need to spin another build for any reason, we can.
>

> --
> Daniel Kulp

Cheers,
Jon
---------------

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Babak Vahdat <ba...@swissonline.ch>.
Hi Christian,

that would be great if you could just include the provided patch [1] for
this release (2.7.x branch) as well, see my *last* comment on the ticket,
and please let me know if there should be something not clear. Thanks!

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
Ok, this will be my first time as release manager. I hope it will not run
too bad...
I plan to cut the release end of next week (06.01.12). Please merge all
your relevant issues which should be part of this release until this date
or let me know, if you need more time.

Looking forward,
Christian

Re: [DISCUSS] Dropping support for Camel 2.7.x

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 7:43 PM, Christian Müller
<ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> When we release Camel 2.9.0 (expected in the next days) and start working
> on Camel 2.10, I would like to cut a new release from the camel-2.7.x
> branch which will be in my opinion the last Camel 2.7 release because we
> discussed to support the two privios relases which then are Camel 2.8 and
> 2.9.
>
> What do you think?

+1

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Re: [DISCUSS] Dropping support for Camel 2.7.x

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
+1.

It is really a time consuming work to maintain more then 3 branches at
same time.

Happy new year !

Willem

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.