Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org> on 2016/04/12 17:06:25 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Directory Fortress 1.0.0

Once again we vote for a release of Apache Directory Fortress core, realm, rest and web components.  This version is 1.0.0 and a temporary tag has been created in git: ‘1.0.0'.

The staging repo on Nexus:
- core: https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachedirectory-1091
- realm: https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachedirectory-1092
- rest: https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachedirectory-1093
- web: https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachedirectory-1094

The source distros:
http://home.apache.org/~smckinney/

The testing procedures:
- Follow one of these guides:
  * https://github.com/apache/directory-fortress-core/blob/master/README-QUICKSTART-APACHEDS.md
  * https://github.com/apache/directory-fortress-core/blob/master/README-QUICKSTART-SLAPD.md

- Complete (only) the sections leading up to and including the SECTION entitled: 'Apache Fortress Core Integration Test’

- Integration testing requires installing either apacheds or openldap to your machine but the setup is pretty fast / easy and complete instructions are provided here.

This is a good opportunity for you to get involved in this project.  If having questions or problems submit them here or contact me off list.  Your help here will enable us to streamline these procedures which will make it easier the next time.

Let us vote:
[ ] +1 | Release Fortress core, realm, rest and web 1.0.0
[ ] +/-0 | Abstain
[ ] -1 | Do *NOT* Release Fortress core, realm, rest and web 1.0.0

Shawn

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Directory Fortress 1.0.0

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 13/04/16 16:12, Chris Pike a écrit :
> +1
>
> Rebuilt VM with 1.0.0 tag and OpenLDAP and ran junit tests

I forgot to mention that I tested it against ApacheDS.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Directory Fortress 1.0.0

Posted by Chris Pike <cl...@psu.edu>.
+1

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 13/04/16 16:25, SHAWN E SMITH a écrit :
> +1 and congrats
>
> "The programmer … works only slightly removed from pure thought-stuff.
> He builds his castles in the air, from air, creating by exertion of the imagination."
> — Fred Brooks

In the Cloud, not in the air, those days ;-)

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Directory Fortress 1.0.0

Posted by SHAWN E SMITH <se...@psu.edu>.
+1 and congrats

"The programmer … works only slightly removed from pure thought-stuff.
He builds his castles in the air, from air, creating by exertion of the imagination."
— Fred Brooks

Shawn Smith
Director of Software Engineering
Administrative Information Services
Penn State University
814-321-5227
ses44@psu.edu

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.
> On Apr 13, 2016, at 4:20 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Packages tested, source code from git tested, signatures tested, N&L
> checked, we are all good !
>
> Great job Shawn ! years of dedication to finally get a 1.0 out, hat down !
>
> Let's get the beast out !

Code first released in Sep of ’11.  Entire product lifecycles have been known to be shorter.  That doesn’t include the years spent thinking and experimenting.  In any case, this accomplishment is shared by you here on this project.  For that I am very thankful.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Well done Shawn!

+0 as I currently don't have the resources to test and verify.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
OFBiz based solutions & services

OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
Excellent!! Great job Shawn!!

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.
> On Apr 13, 2016, at 1:52 PM, Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de> wrote:
>
> I probably won't have time before Monday to check. Are there any
> significant changes since the previous release?

Mostly small bug fixes and software dependency upgrades.  Also completely removed dependency on ant outside of maven ant plugin.  One of the bug fixes was to enable the rest or web war files to be deployable after being downloaded from maven.

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.
+1 from me.

Colm.

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Directory Fortress 1.0.0

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.
> On Apr 14, 2016, at 7:43 AM, Chris Pike <cl...@psu.edu> wrote:
>
> Jiajia,
>
> Did you verify tomcat is running and you can login with credentials in Section 5, Step 9?
>
> Do the tomcat logs show any errors?

Jiajia,

Chris is right - Tomcat is not setup.  But I did not want to put lengthy testing req’s on you which is why I said in the beginning to complete this section:
## SECTION 4. Apache Fortress Core Integration Test

and stop.  Were you able to get the junit tests to run successfully?  If so, I think you have successfully tested fortress.  I am working on a fortress rest and web quickstart, which will make it easier next time to test the other components.

Thanks

Posted by Chris Pike <cl...@psu.edu>.
Jiajia,

Posted by "Li, Jiajia" <ji...@intel.com>.
It's ok after redeploying.

+1 Non-binding

- Build successfully with jdk 1.8.0_40
- Source package signature and checksum are valid
- All tests passed

Thanks
Jiajia

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.
> On Apr 13, 2016, at 3:24 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> There are things that are annoying :
> - there are many source packages in
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachedirectory-1091/org/apache/directory/fortress/fortress-core/1.0.0/.
> The only one that is useful is fortress-core-1.0.0-source-release.zip.
> The fortress-core-1.0.0-sources.jar and fortress-core-1.0.0-tests.jar
> packages are just noise, IMO.
> - there are signed .asc files. This is an artefact created by the maven
> gpg plugin, which is idiot and signs the asc signature. What I usually
> do is to delete every .asc before maually signing the packages, in order
> to cut the files being pushed to the repository to the bare minimum.
>
> None of those two problems are blocker, but it would be great if we can
> get them fixed in 1.0.1.

Agreed.  Needs to get cleaned up.

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.
> On Apr 13, 2016, at 3:44 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> One more thing : in order to test core, the
> https://github.com/apache/directory-fortress-core/blob/master/README-QUICKSTART-APACHEDS.md
> describes how to setup ApacheDS. That's fine, but there is a faster way,
> if you have Apache Directory Studio installed : just create a new
> ApacheDS 2.0.0 server and start it : it's way faster and simpler !

Ah yes that is a great way to test.  I will change apacheds quickstart to have that as an option.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.