Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Gary Bristol <ne...@home.com> on 2002/01/17 10:05:59 UTC

New Configuration, access denied on the directories

I recently rebuilt my server and put Mandrake 8.1 on it.
Wanting to use the latest Apache sw i downloaded the 2.0.8 beta version of
the Web Server, I also have the 1.3.22 version available with the same
problems.

When I try to re-establish the NamedVirtual Hosting I was doing on another
server I get access denied on the root directories of the different domains.

When I added a CNAME entry in DNS for the first domain (siteone.com) it
suddenly works?

for instance;

ns1	IN A			XX.XX.XX.XX
www	IN CNAME 		NS1

But if I try to do the same thing with the second domain it still doesn't
work.

Before on the other server previous version, I wasn't using the CNAME
entries in DNS, just mulitple A record entries.
Is the CNAME entry required now?

For the second domain or any additional domains to work, do I have to also
add multiple ServerName entries in the Httpd.conf outside of the VirtualHost
directives.?  That seems to be the only difference.

Any advice would be appreciated, I seemed to have been all through the FAQ's
and Documents on the Apache.org sheet but all of the information i seem to
gleem doesn't work.

Any help would be appreciated.

In the Main Section of the config file I have the server name specified as;

Listen 80
ServerName ns1.siteone.com

For directory permissions I have;
The owner of the directories are nobody.nobody.

<Directory "/mnt/www/pub/siteone">
	Order allow,deny
	Allow from any
</Directory>\
<Directory "/mnt/www/pub/sitetwo">
	Order allow,deny
	Allow from any
</Directory>
<Directory "/mnt/www/pub/siteone">
	Options Indexes FollowSymlinks
	AllowOverride None
	Order allow,deny
	Allow from all
	Addhandler type-map var
	DirectoryIndex index.html index.html.var
</Directory>
<Directory "/mnt/www/pub/sitetwo">
	Options Indexes FollowSymlinks
	AllowOverride None
	Order allow,deny
	Allow from all
	Addhandler type-map var
	DirectoryIndex index.html index.html.var
</Directory>

The Virtual hosting area of the Httpd.conf looks like this;

NameVirtualHost XX.XX.XX.XX

<VirtualHost XX.XX.XX.XX>
ServerAdmin 	me@host.com
DocumentRoot 	/mnt/www/pub/sitetwo
Servername 		www.sitetwo.com
ErrorLog		logs/sitetwo-error.log
CustomLog		logs/sitetwo-access.log common
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost XX.XX.XX.XX>
ServerAdmin 	me@host.com
DocumentRoot 	/mnt/www/pub/siteone
ServerName 		www.siteone.com
ErrorLog		logs/siteone-error.log
CustomLog		logs/siteone-access.log common
</VirtualHost>

RE: New Configuration, access denied on the directories

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
> From: Gary Bristol [mailto:netrunner2@home.com]

> Have you checked the error log?  Have you checked the unix permissions on
> the documentroot directories and all parent directories?
>
> Yes I have, it says I dont' have permission to access \

I need to see the exact error message from the error log.

Joshua.

RE: New Configuration, access denied on the directories

Posted by Gary Bristol <ne...@home.com>.

> When I try to re-establish the NamedVirtual Hosting I was doing on another
> server I get access denied on the root directories of the
> different domains.

Have you checked the error log?  Have you checked the unix permissions on
the documentroot directories and all parent directories?

Yes I have, it says I dont' have permission to access \

> But if I try to do the same thing with the second domain it still doesn't
> work.

What does "doesn't work" mean?

It says I don't have permmission to access \

The only change between getting sitetwo to display and not getting siteone
to display is the DNS change.
Both sites are in the same directory structure.

> Before on the other server previous version, I wasn't using the CNAME
> entries in DNS, just mulitple A record entries.
> Is the CNAME entry required now?

No.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
> From: Gary Bristol [mailto:netrunner2@home.com]

> When I try to re-establish the NamedVirtual Hosting I was doing on another
> server I get access denied on the root directories of the
> different domains.

Have you checked the error log?  Have you checked the unix permissions on
the documentroot directories and all parent directories?

> But if I try to do the same thing with the second domain it still doesn't
> work.

What does "doesn't work" mean?