Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by ananth desh <an...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/22 15:07:28 UTC

[users@httpd] multiple instances issue in apache

Hi All,
 I  have been trying to run apache as reverse proxy ,with all the urls
pointing to the same IP.In this process

1.  Installed the RPM version of fedora 8 ( httpd-2.2.9-1.fc8) .This
installed  under /etc/httpd directory.
2.  copied the entire httpd directory to another directory /opt/www/httpd01,
3.  Modified the httpd.conf file in the new directory i,e
/opt/www/httpd01/conf/httpd.conf and changed the Listen port 8080
instead of 80 and the ServerRoot to  /opt/www/httpd01.
4. Copied  the httpd binary file and apachectl file in the same directory
5.Edited apachectl file and changed the HTTPD to point to the
/opt/ww/httpd01/httpd

When i run /opt/www/httpd01/apachectl start , It still read's  the
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf  file and gives errort port 80 already in
use.

Note: I have another application which is  running and using port 443
and 80 respectively.

6.When i run ./httpd -f   /opt/www/httpd01/conf/httpd.conf -k start
I get the following error,Now it looks like it has taken the new port
8080 ,but now 443 is a problem

(98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:443
(98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:443
Unable to open logs

Kindly let me know how i resolve this issue  please .I need to have 10
such instances.If one work i will duplicate the steps on other's as
well.

Thanks in advance
Ananth

Re: [users@httpd] multiple instances issue in apache

Posted by ananth desh <an...@gmail.com>.
thanks for your kind response. It  works now.
i copied the original files to another directory modified the pid file
and the port number to 8081.It restarted httpd with -f option.It
worked.

Thanks Again

regards

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ananth desh <an...@gmail.com>.
Thank Eric & Davide,
   I have tried to start the httpd exec with the -f option , but i get
 errors 443 is already in use,But i have not mentioned  in the conf
file that port 443 is listening. Is there Anyway i can disable this.
Also kindly clarify , i ahve only 1 ip address..can i run 2 or 3
different instances of apache (httpd ) with different port numbers.

Thanks
Ananth

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Davide Bianchi <da...@onlyforfun.net>.
ananth desh wrote:
> 2.  copied the entire httpd directory to another directory /opt/www/httpd01,
> 3.  Modified the httpd.conf file in the new directory i,e
> 5.Edited apachectl file and changed the HTTPD to point to the
> /opt/ww/httpd01/httpd

Yes. but that executable is still pointing to the default configuration
file, if you want him to read a different one, you'll need to specify
the right config file with the -c option.

Davide

--
Anyone who says he can see through women is missing a lot.
-- Julius Henry "Groucho" Marx (http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Groucho_Marx)

Re: [users@httpd] Issue in apache service

Posted by Evan Platt <ev...@espphotography.com>.
Ok.. and for the third time, what happens if you telnet to whatever port
the web server is operating on when this happens?

You may want to consider upgrading. 2.0.59 is at least a year old, if
I'm not mistaken.

Posted by vadi raj <va...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Evan Platt <ev...@espphotography.com>.
As I asked before...