Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Tony Rosete <to...@tsgrp.com> on 2002/03/20 18:27:57 UTC

Hung http processes

Has anybody out there encountered the problem where httpd processes just
hang?  We've noticed that at times httpd jumps to the top of the 'top' list
and never dies while taking a huge chunk of the CPU.  There seems to be no
pattern to what starts them, but just a few of them bring the server to its
knees.  Anybody encounter this with any form of resolution?

Thanks.

RE: Hung http processes

Posted by Tony Rosete <to...@tsgrp.com>.
will do.  Thanks for the help..

Posted by Artiom Morozov <ar...@phreaker.net>.

RE: Hung http processes

Posted by Tony Rosete <to...@tsgrp.com>.

Re: Hung http processes

Posted by Artiom Morozov <ar...@phreaker.net>.

Re: Hung http processes

Posted by Martin Haase-Thomas <mh...@meome-ag.de>.
Hi,

I really don't want to look arrogant, but to me a hanging process
consuming most of the CPU power points directly to an endless loop
someone has sent it into. Maybe it is your code, and not apache?

Regards
Martin

Tony Rosete wrote:

>Has anybody out there encountered the problem where httpd processes just
>hang?  We've noticed that at times httpd jumps to the top of the 'top' list
>and never dies while taking a huge chunk of the CPU.  There seems to be no
>pattern to what starts them, but just a few of them bring the server to its
>knees.  Anybody encounter this with any form of resolution?
>
>Thanks.

                   http://www.meome.de
Martin Haase-Thomas         |       Tel.: 030 43730-558
meOme AG                    |       Fax.: 030 43730-555
Software Development        |           mht@meome-ag.de

RE: Hung http processes

Posted by Tony Rosete <to...@tsgrp.com>.
httpd -l isn't valid on our Linux system.  We do have database type calls
that are getting hit.  They can be CPU intensive, but they usually spike and
then drop right away.  Once or a few times a day we see these rogue httpd
things show up and never go away.  I have seen this type of problem on
several newsgroups out there, but so far nothing in terms of a patch or some
way to prevent it without restarting the apache server..

Tony

How about if you provide a list of what modules you are running. Do an
httpd -l to get that. Are you doing anything with dynamic content, like
PHP, CGI's, or anything that has to hit a database or do something CPU
intensive?

-Andy

Re: Hung http processes

Posted by Andrew Hawkes <ah...@unicon.net>.