Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net> on 2005/09/23 06:20:48 UTC

[ApacheDS] Moving to JDK 5.0

Hi all,

We intend in the next release to move to jdk 5.0 without backward
compatability with JDK 1.4.  This was a hard decision to make but some
features in jdk 5.0 are required for us to make ApacheDS LDAPv3 compatable.

Namely we are going to be using jdk 5.0 features for SASL support.

We have drawn up a roadmap to reach a 1.0 release for ApacheDS by March
of 2006.  By that time we suspect the jdk 5.0 to be the standard JDK in
production.  Here's the roadmap btw:

http://docs.safehaus.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=2394

We will move this roadmap into the ASF JIRA as soon as we distill fine
grained tasks from it.  Please excuse the storm of JIRA issue movements
that will follow.

All those that want to use ApacheDS with 1.4 should use releases 0.9.2
and below.  0.9.3 is debatable but 0.9.4 will definately use 5.0
features and hence will be 1.4 incompatable.

Thanks,
Alex

Re: [ApacheDS] Moving to JDK 5.0

Posted by Enrique Rodriguez <en...@gmail.com>.
Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We intend in the next release to move to jdk 5.0 without backward
> compatability with JDK 1.4.  This was a hard decision to make but some
> features in jdk 5.0 are required for us to make ApacheDS LDAPv3 compatable.
>
> Namely we are going to be using jdk 5.0 features for SASL support.
> We have drawn up a roadmap to reach a 1.0 release for ApacheDS by March
> of 2006.  By that time we suspect the jdk 5.0 to be the standard JDK in
> production.  Here's the roadmap btw:
>
> http://docs.safehaus.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=2394

I've been looking forward to this for a while now.  1.5 has been out for
over a year and given how much more time we need to complete the
roadmap, let alone any sort of enterprise adoption, it makes perfect
sense to take advantage of many of the features in 1.5.  In addition to
SASL, we already require 1.5 for SSL in MINA and I, for one, would like
to use some of the new concurrent collections and crypto.

Enrique

Re: [ApacheDS] Moving to JDK 5.0

Posted by Nick Faiz <ni...@atlassian.com>.
Hi Alex,

I remember this being discussed earlier on and can definitely see how
useful the move to 1.5 will be.

Thanks for the roadmap - it looks really good.

Cheers,
Nick

--
ATLASSIAN - http://www.atlassian.com/

Confluence - the enterprise wiki - tried it yet?

Re: [ApacheDS] Moving to JDK 5.0

Posted by Marc Boorshtein <mb...@gmail.com>.
I've been on JDK 1.5 for a couple of months now and the generics support
alone is worth it (but thats backwards compatible). Besides, I would think
that as a stand alone server the JRE wouldn't be an issue as it's pretty
common practic to distribute a JRE with Java server applications.

Marc

Re: [ApacheDS] Moving to JDK 5.0

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: [ApacheDS] Moving to JDK 5.0

Re: [ApacheDS] Moving to JDK 5.0

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
+1 for JDK 5.0, for the server only as Brett suggested.

Re: [ApacheDS] Moving to JDK 5.0

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Trustin Lee wrote:

> I agree with what Brett says here.  :)
>
> Trustin
>
> 2005/9/23, Brett Porter <brett.porter@gmail.com
> <ma...@gmail.com>>:
>
>     +1 for the server. Please consider differently for other consumable
>     libraries (eg -naming probably should remain 1.3/1.4, I'm not sure
>     about things like MINA).

Oh yes to be more exact this is for ApacheDS and not other libraries
like naming of course.

Alex

Re: [ApacheDS] Moving to JDK 5.0

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.