Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Tom Gioconda <to...@hotmail.com> on 2001/06/15 01:30:36 UTC

Apache 1.3.20, modperl 1.25, win32

In my continuing quest to figure out how to port my Apache/modperl stuff to
Windows per my company's "all win2k servers" mandate, I've been playing with
Apache 1.3.20 and modperl on Windows.  I was wondering if there is anyway to
get this thing to handle more than one request at a time, without waiting
for Apache2/modperl2 to be finished.  I've noticed that several people seem
to be using win32 and mod_perl.  How are you guys dealing with the
single-request problem?  Oh, my Perl is ActiveState build 626 (binary
distribution).  I'm not attached to it though and can get a different build,
if I can just get this thing to work.

-Tom

RE: Apache 1.3.20, modperl 1.25, win32

Posted by John Reid <jr...@openconnect.co.uk>.
> In my continuing quest to figure out how to port my
> Apache/modperl stuff to
> Windows per my company's "all win2k servers" mandate, I've been
> playing with
> Apache 1.3.20 and modperl on Windows.  I was wondering if there
> is anyway to
> get this thing to handle more than one request at a time, without waiting
> for Apache2/modperl2 to be finished.  I've noticed that several
> people seem
> to be using win32 and mod_perl.  How are you guys dealing with the
> single-request problem?  Oh, my Perl is ActiveState build 626 (binary
> distribution).  I'm not attached to it though and can get a
> different build,
> if I can just get this thing to work.

Hi Tom

I can sympathise. We have rolled out a system on Win32 Apache/mod_perl. We
ran into the problem of sequential requests and have had to abandon mod_perl
for a particular section of the system. We have found the mod_perl stuff to
be satisfactory for dynamic pages with only one or two db lookups. The
sections that required a lot of processing we have moved back to standard
CGI figuring that the processing overhead for process startup was a small
enough percentage to be acceptable.

Our systems use a custom tag parser that is run as a mod_perl content
handler. This originally worked as a CGI and was ported to a handler. I have
ported the CGI to PerlEx with acceptable results but we haven't rolled it
out yet.

There are ways of doing things with other technologies. We went with the
mod_perl thing because we deliver on a variety of platforms - W2K, NT, AIX,
Solaris, Linux and some of the other Unices. Win32 is always the problem. I
hesitate to say it on this list, but I am becoming more of the opinion that
Win32 problems require Win32 solutions. I can't wait for version 2.

John Reid
OpenConnect (Ireland) Ltd

---