Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by helgoboss <be...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/30 13:44:20 UTC

AFM parsing exception

Hello all!

At first, I'd like to thank all FOP developers for that valuable piece of
software. I just finished my diploma thesis using DocBook 5.0 and Fop 0.94
and the result looks wonderful.

In order to combine the beautiful LaTeX font Computer Modern with the
advantages of XML publishing, I've downloaded a type1 unicode variant of
this font (http://canopus.iacp.dvo.ru/~panov/cm-unicode/) and made it
available to FOP. Natively it consists only of AFM and PFB files. In 0.94,
there didn't exist an AFM parser so I used a utility called CrossFont in
order to convert the AFM files to PFM files.

Yesterday I saw that 0.95Beta already has an AFM parser and tried to use the
font without the generated PFM files. However, following exception occurred:

java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "parr"
	at
java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(NumberFormatException.java:48)
	at org.apache.xmlgraphics.fonts.Glyphs.hexToChar(Glyphs.java:333)
	at
org.apache.xmlgraphics.fonts.Glyphs.getUnicodeSequenceForGlyphName(Glyphs.java:380)
	at org.apache.fop.fonts.type1.AFMFile.addCharMetrics(AFMFile.java:319)
	at
org.apache.fop.fonts.type1.AFMParser.parseCharMetrics(AFMParser.java:264)
	at org.apache.fop.fonts.type1.AFMParser.parse(AFMParser.java:201)
	at org.apache.fop.fonts.type1.AFMParser.parse(AFMParser.java:175)
	at org.apache.fop.fonts.type1.Type1FontLoader.read(Type1FontLoader.java:85)

The same exception occurred in the recent SVN revision 641827.

Any ideas?

Regards
Benjamin Klum

Re: AFM parsing exception

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Thanks for your feedback! I've fixed a number of things:

This not only fixes the problem you describe but also the necessity to
have PFM files in the first place. I will see if I can easily backport
this change into the 0.95 branch (the changes are on Trunk as I've
already improved Type 1 support in Trunk) so this gets into the final
0.95 release.

On 30.03.2008 13:44:20 helgoboss wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> At first, I'd like to thank all FOP developers for that valuable piece of
> software. I just finished my diploma thesis using DocBook 5.0 and Fop 0.94
> and the result looks wonderful.
>
> In order to combine the beautiful LaTeX font Computer Modern with the
> advantages of XML publishing, I've downloaded a type1 unicode variant of
> this font (http://canopus.iacp.dvo.ru/~panov/cm-unicode/) and made it
> available to FOP. Natively it consists only of AFM and PFB files. In 0.94,
> there didn't exist an AFM parser so I used a utility called CrossFont in
> order to convert the AFM files to PFM files.
>
> Yesterday I saw that 0.95Beta already has an AFM parser and tried to use the
> font without the generated PFM files. However, following exception occurred:
>
> java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "parr"
> 	at
> java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(NumberFormatException.java:48)
> 	at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Integer.java:447)
> 	at org.apache.xmlgraphics.fonts.Glyphs.hexToChar(Glyphs.java:333)
> 	at
> org.apache.xmlgraphics.fonts.Glyphs.getUnicodeSequenceForGlyphName(Glyphs.java:380)
> 	at org.apache.fop.fonts.type1.AFMFile.addCharMetrics(AFMFile.java:319)
> 	at
> org.apache.fop.fonts.type1.AFMParser.parseCharMetrics(AFMParser.java:264)
> 	at org.apache.fop.fonts.type1.AFMParser.parse(AFMParser.java:201)
> 	at org.apache.fop.fonts.type1.AFMParser.parse(AFMParser.java:175)
> 	at org.apache.fop.fonts.type1.Type1FontLoader.read(Type1FontLoader.java:85)
>
> The same exception occurred in the recent SVN revision 641827.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Regards
> Benjamin Klum

Jeremias Maerki