Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Mckeane Thomas <th...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/06 22:08:38 UTC

Reading spreadsheet

Hello,
    I want to be able to read a spreadsheet by searching for a column
header and returning the values under that column.

For example if I have a spreadsheet with four column headings:

First Name      Last Name              DOB                 Number
john                   brown            02-05-1988               123
Greg                 Smith              03-06-1989               456
Gordon            Smalls             04-07-1990                789.

I want to be able to read and process the sheet above by reading the
heading example First Name which would return the values associated with
First Name:
First Name:
John
Greg
Gordon
and so forth for each column.

Best regards,
Mckeane

Re: Reading spreadsheet

Posted by Mark Beardsley <ma...@tiscali.co.uk>.
If you know the number of the row that holds the column headings, all you
need to do is something like this;

1. Open the workbook.
2. Get a sheet.
3. Read the row containing the column headings.
4. Iterate through the cells on that row searching for a specific value.
5. Once you find that value, make a note of the cells column index or
number.
6. Get the remaining rows on the sheet one by one.
7. Get the cell whose index matches the cell index of the header cell found
in step number 5 above.
8. Get the value from that cell.

The code you need to perform each of these steps is explained in the various
parts of either the Quick Guide
(http://poi.apache.org/spreadsheet/quick-guide.html) or FAQ
(http://poi.apache.org/faq.html) sections of the webs site. For exaple,
reading a workbook is outlined here -