Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net> on 2005/02/18 06:44:35 UTC

[asn1] These ideas are exceptional Emmanuel!

Emmanuel,

I really really like what you have started here.  Alan have you had a look?

http://wiki.apache.org/directory/Asn1Home

This page which talks about tracking the tag info is most excellent.
What tools did you use to show TLV nesting?

http://wiki.apache.org/directory/TLVPageInfo

I'm impressed you stopped to document your ideas first.  I have several
comments but would like to play with these ideas a little bit more.
Perhaps we can conduct some small experiments with the indivisible
elements (T, L, and V).

Yeah you're right, ITU specs are a good substitute for sleeping pills:

(last line)
"They are available for free, which is quite cheap compared to sleeping
pills !"

Cheers,
    -Alex

Re: [asn1] These ideas are exceptional Emmanuel!

Posted by Enrique Rodriguez <er...@apache.org>.
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> Le vendredi 18 février 2005 à 16:08 -0500, Noel J. Bergman a écrit :
> Of course, depending of the MessageID, we will need more than one of
> these "smart stubs" - TLV Patterns is a better name for it -. You can
> then push a buffer without having to encode a TLV.

On another project we call these "pre-compiled."

-enrique

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@iktek.com>.
Le vendredi 18 février 2005 à 16:08 -0500, Noel J. Bergman a écrit :
> > A while back we had an IRC discussion on why we needed both general
> > TLV processing and compiled smart stubs.  Does anyone recall what
> > the argument for that was?
>
> I checked my logs, and have some commentary on TLVs and POJOs from mid-July.
> Nothing more recent.  Would that it be it?
>
> 	--- Noel

It may be two weeks ago, when IRC wasn't logged? We had a discussion
about "smart stub" that are pre-compiled TLV which can be sent without
encoding, as they don't change. For instance, a sucessfull BindResponse
will always have the same bytes, except for the MessageID. So we can
pre-build the TLV, and just push the current MessageID in it. It works
for Response, not for request (it could, but it's useless, as
performance issues will occur on the server, not on the client).

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <ad...@toolazydogs.com>.

Alex Karasulu wrote:

> Emmanuel,
>
> I really really like what you have started here.  Alan have you had a
> look?

This is great work!

> http://wiki.apache.org/directory/Asn1Home
>
> This page which talks about tracking the tag info is most excellent.
> What tools did you use to show TLV nesting?
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/directory/TLVPageInfo
>
> I'm impressed you stopped to document your ideas first.  I have
> several comments but would like to play with these ideas a little bit
> more.  Perhaps we can conduct some small experiments with the
> indivisible elements (T, L, and V).
> Yeah you're right, ITU specs are a good substitute for sleeping pills:
>
> (last line)
> "They are available for free, which is quite cheap compared to
> sleeping pills !"

A while back we had an IRC discussion on why we needed both general TLV
processing and compiled smart stubs.  Does anyone recall what the
argument for that was?

Regards,
Alan