Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Chris <cp...@earthlink.net> on 2005/05/08 15:59:11 UTC

Bogus Virus Warnings and RDJ

I seem to be having another problem with getting the above ruleset again.
Anyone else:

Date: Sat May  7 03:02:21 2005
 From: root <cp...@earthlink.net>
 To: cpollock@earthlink.net

RulesDuJour Run Summary on cpollock.localdomain:

The following rules had errors:
Tim Jackson's (et al) bogus virus warnings had an unknown error:
curl exit code: 18
curl: (18) transfer closed with 80982 bytes remaining to read
200

Date: Sun May  8 03:21:13 2005
 From: root <cp...@earthlink.net>
 To: cpollock@earthlink.net

RulesDuJour Run Summary on cpollock.localdomain:

The following rules had errors:
Tim Jackson's (et al) bogus virus warnings had an unknown error:
curl exit code: 7
curl: (7) couldn't connect
000

And nope, I'm only running RDJ once every 24hrs.  I was tempted to see if I
could pull it down manually yesterday, but decided to see what would happen
to todays run.

--
Chris
Registered Linux User 283774 http://counter.li.org

Re: Bogus Virus Warnings and RDJ

Posted by Chris <cp...@earthlink.net>.
On Sunday 08 May 2005 12:44 pm, Tim Jackson wrote:

> By all means feel free to contact me direct if you think it's something
> up my end. However, if it's just a one-off then ignore it; it's
> probably just load issues or something my end. The host my rules are on
> did "mysteriously crash" this morning, apparently (according to my
> ohsts), so that may be related.

Thanks Tim, I'll see what the results are after my 3am poll tomorrow morning.

--
Chris
Registered Linux User 283774 http://counter.li.org
15:09:03 up 3 days, 19:50, 1 user, load average: 0.47, 0.34, 0.31
Mandriva Linux 10.1 Official, kernel 2.6.8.1-12mdk
God instructs the heart, not by ideas, but by pains and contradictions.
		-- De Caussade

Re: Bogus Virus Warnings and RDJ

Posted by Tim Jackson <li...@timj.co.uk>.
On Sun, 8 May 2005 08:59:11 -0500
Chris <cp...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I seem to be having another problem with getting the above ruleset
> again.

By all means feel free to contact me direct if you think it's something
up my end. However, if it's just a one-off then ignore it; it's
probably just load issues or something my end. The host my rules are on
did "mysteriously crash" this morning, apparently (according to my
ohsts), so that may be related.

Everything seems fine from here though, at least right now. I would
note that I do actually "eat my own dogfood" and pull the rules myself
from a variety of other boxes (which don't have any kind of special
access or exclusion from the rate-limiting) using RDJ, so if there's a
general problem then I will probably get warning messages just like
everyone else :)

As ChrisS says, the plan is to move it to rulesemporium.com soon anyhow.

Cheers,

Tim

CR in the URL

Posted by QQQQ <qq...@usermail.com>.
Guys,

Forgive me but what was the fix for URL's with a carriage return?  I have this one that keeps sneaking by:

<A href="h
ttp:/
/kgkkrsfbdwmp.net&gvms5k8gr65layn41f8%2Ebut
tonag
ncm%2Ecom/">

TIA,

QQQQ

Re: Lint errors -need help

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
jimsheffer wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> I've just set up a new mail server running the latest version of
> spamassassin.
>
> I'm getting ready to add some extra rules, and RDJ.
> I ran lint -D on the basic config file I have for sa to see what I get
> before adding a bunch of rule files, and got the following errors: (I
> believe these are 2 of the 3- the other was razor I think- snipped out all
> the other stuff for briefness, but have it all if needed :)
>
> Can someone help me out to decifer what they meanand what I need to do
> before proceeding with other rules?
>
> Thanks!
>
> config: SpamAssassin failed to parse line, skipping: rewrite_subject 0
> config: SpamAssassin failed to parse line, skipping: always_add_headers 1
> config: SpamAssassin failed to parse line, skipping: auto_learn

auto_learn was changed to bayes_auto_learn in SA 2.60.

always_add_headers is redundant with the report templates, and has been dead for
a long time. Just delete it.

rewrite_subject has been replaced with rewrite_header as of SA 3.0. To get the
same effect as rewrite_subject 0 use:

	rewrite_header subject

Which specifies no modification of the subject line (otherwise a tag string
would follow).

Re: Lint errors -need help

Posted by Fred <sp...@freddyt.com>.
jimsheffer wrote:
> config: SpamAssassin failed to parse line, skipping: rewrite_subject 0
> config: SpamAssassin failed to parse line, skipping:
> always_add_headers 1 config: SpamAssassin failed to parse line,
> skipping: auto_learn 1

Those 3 config options are no longer supported.
In the readme or install file, there is probably a reference to this.
Remove those 3 options and lint again, everything should clear up.

Re: Lint errors -need help

Posted by Jim Maul <jm...@elih.org>.
jimsheffer wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> I've just set up a new mail server running the latest version of
> spamassassin.
>
> I'm getting ready to add some extra rules, and RDJ.
> I ran lint -D on the basic config file I have for sa to see what I get
> before adding a bunch of rule files, and got the following errors: (I
> believe these are 2 of the 3- the other was razor I think- snipped out all
> the other stuff for briefness, but have it all if needed :)
>
> Can someone help me out to decifer what they meanand what I need to do
> before proceeding with other rules?
>
> Thanks!
>
> config: SpamAssassin failed to parse line, skipping: rewrite_subject 0
> config: SpamAssassin failed to parse line, skipping: always_add_headers 1

No longer valid in 3.x

> config: SpamAssassin failed to parse line, skipping: auto_learn

This wasnt valid in any version of SA that i know of.  I think it was
supposed to be bayes_auto_learn but again, that isnt valid in 3.x  You
probably used the web based local.cf creation tool mentioned on the SA
website, but it generates files with incorrect syntax last i checked.

> 1
> debug: using "/Users/admin/.spamassassin" for user state dir
> debug: bayes: no dbs present, cannot tie DB R/O:
> /Users/admin/.spamassassin/bayes_toks
> debug: Score set 1 chosen.
>

> debug: bayes: no dbs present, cannot tie DB R/O:
> /Users/admin/.spamassassin/bayes_toks

is there really a bayes db in this directory?  Is it accessible by the
user that SA is running as?

> lint: 3 issues detected.  please rerun with debug enabled for more
> information.
>
> Jim Sheffer,
>
> OmniPilot Software            http://www.omnipilot.com
> Systems Administrator         jimsheffer@omnipilot.com

-Jim

RE: Lint errors -need help

Posted by Bret Miller <br...@wcg.org>.
> config: SpamAssassin failed to parse line, skipping: rewrite_subject 0

Deprecated. Just remove the line since you don't want to rewrite
anything.

> config: SpamAssassin failed to parse line, skipping:
> always_add_headers 1

Deprecated. Now you should manually define which headers to add, and if
you want the headers to always be the same, you could use something like
this: (note that report_safe 0 resets the headers to default, so do it
first)

fold_headers		1
clear_headers
add_header all Level _STARS(+)_
add_header all Score _HITS_
add_header all Tests tests=_TESTSSCORES_;autolearn=_AUTOLEARN_

> config: SpamAssassin failed to parse line, skipping: auto_learn
> 1

Deprecated. Use:

bayes_auto_learn 1

Re: Feeding bayes

Posted by Craig McLean <cr...@craig.dnsalias.com>.

Feeding bayes

Posted by jimsheffer <ji...@omnipilot.com>.
Ok-

I've got bayes db's all working, lint runs with no errors.

Now I need to feed the beast spam/ham messages!

2 questions:
I've set up 2 email accounts- ham and spam.
I've connected to these accounts via imap, and took several hundred of each
and dragged them into these folders.  Will this work (the accounts I dragged
them from are NOT imap accounts.  What I want to be able to do is allow
users to connect to these two accounts via imap and report spam that gets
through by dragging it into these accounts.  We do not use imap, just pop
(but these two will be set up on users systems via imap)

If this is correct, I'm a happy camper!

Next, I tried the following, but it didn't like it.  Heres what I did, and
the response I received:

Root# sa-learn --spam -C /etc/mail/spamassassin --showdots --dir
/var/CommuniGate/Accounts/spam.macnt/INBOX.mbox

Use of uninitialized value in quotemeta at
///Library/Perl/5.8.1/Mail/SpamAssassin.pm line 928.
.
Learned from 1 message(s) (1 message(s) examined).

Any idea what I need to do? (there are over 200 emails in each account, but
it lookes like it read only 1)

Thanks again for every one's help!

Lint errors -need help