Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org> on 2006/11/09 23:21:28 UTC

3.2.0?

hey -- anyone think we should consider getting 3.2.0 out before January? I
think it may be doable.

The one major feature I want to get in is the re2c/sa-compile speedup code
in the side branch -- it provides about a 20% speedup of scanning by
compiling parts of the ruleset into native code, which is nice. ;)

--j.

Re: 3.2.0?

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <ke...@thoughtworthy.com>.
> hey -- anyone think we should consider getting 3.2.0 out before January? I
> think it may be doable.
>
> The one major feature I want to get in is the re2c/sa-compile speedup code
> in the side branch -- it provides about a 20% speedup of scanning by
> compiling parts of the ruleset into native code, which is nice. ;)

I would like to see it be released before January.  The 20% speedup sounds
amazing especially because I see more and more rules each day.  Is there any
reduced RAM usage as well?  I assume there is 20% less CPU usage just
because it finishes quicker.

On a similar topic, perhaps, I have been contemplating if the compilation to
native code could do something to not require ?: on every () regexp.   I
find that A) I'm lazy on adding them and B) they can get insane on trying to
read and debug some of the more complex rules.

I've been talking with Mark Damrose about this and since you have to use \\1
\\2, for the replacements, could the "re2c/sa-compile" be changed to
additionally automatically add ?: to regexp without \\1, etc.?  This should
save a little on RAM and overhead, though I'm not sure how much really.

Maybe even a cf file flag like PERL_BACKREFERENCES_DISABLED 1 that applies
to that single file only?  I'm just thinking out loud here but Mark only
found 4 rules that use the backreference and I only found 14 in my
collection of rules.  Just seems like a miniscule number of rules not to
come up with something to automate this.

Regards,
KAM