Posted to user@cayenne.apache.org by Florijan Stamenkovic <fl...@mac.com> on 2007/06/26 15:36:46 UTC

Java Client

Hi everyone,

I am a WebObjects user, and since the future of Java Client support
in the WebObjects suite is not certain, I would appreciate some
insight into the following:

1. Are there many people using Java Clients with Cayenne?
2. How do the users of it see the effort / results proportion?
3. Is there a sub-community in Cayenne working together on solving
common JC problems, I am especially interested in integrating it with
rich Swing apps?
4. If someone is familiar with both EOF and Cayenne, can you draw
some comparison (related to JC possibilities and handling)?

Thanks in advance,
Flor

Re: Java Client

Posted by Florijan Stamenkovic <fl...@mac.com>.
Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for the feedback, I really appreciate it! It made it
clear to me that there are efforts to make rich apps backed by
Cayenne, and people working on it.

At the moment Java Client is still alive within WO, but none of us
know how that will progress. Anyway, without knowing if Apple will
abandon it or not, I am not willing to switch to Cayenne, I have
invested already a lot of work into what Aristeded describes below,
with WO.

However, the future seems a bit brighter :)

Thanks!
Florijan
CNG Havaso Ltd.

Re: Java Client

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.

Re: Java Client

Posted by Marek Wawrzyczny <ma...@internode.on.net>.
Hi Florijan,

I was involved with a Swing client/server project a while back that utilised
the Remote Object Persistence part of Cayenne. We used ROP at its very early
stage so we had a few niggling issues but overall I have to say I was/am very
impressed with the speed at which one can setup the object model and get
solid results.

We were able to develop MVC patterns that allowed us to build custom widgets
which were "wired" into Cayenne. Once we devised an event driven mechanism
for exchanging data, all one would need to do is set a Cayenne object within
the controller and staticly tell the widgets which properties they represent.
Data input/output and validation is sent using events.

I know that the team has since done a lot more work, especially with
the 'trigger-like' functionality of Cayenne's ROP.

The project took a fair amount of work but keep in mind that for most of the
participants it was the first real Swing application and an extremely
ambitious one at that. Cayenne integration took a fair bit of the development
time but mostly because it was in its early stages and because we were (and
the team still is) pushing the framework to its limits.

I very strongly recommend Cayenne and ROP.

Cheers,

Marek Wawrzyczny

Re: Java Client

Posted by John Armstrong <si...@gmail.com>.
I can only speak to my swing experience. I'm mid-way through building
a Cayenne backed swing app and its been really smooth sailing. Not
sure how to answer your questions more specifically around that, are
you having troubles?

John-