Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Tormod Omholt-Jensen <to...@agentus.no> on 2004/02/18 09:35:21 UTC

Chainsaw blocks system

I use Chainsaw for monitoring a system.  Some times if Chainsaw runs for a
long time, Chainsaw reports an out of memory exception.  When t is happens,
my application is blocked until the Chainsaw process is killed.  I use
Chainsaw v1.   Anyone who has experience something similar?

The log4j config I use
-------------------------------

log4j.rootCategory=DEBUG, A2

log4j.appender.A2=org.apache.log4j.net.SocketAppender
log4j.appender.A2.RemoteHost=10.0.1.1
log4j.appender.A2.Port=4445

Regards Tormod Omholt-Jensen

Re: Chainsaw blocks system

Posted by Paul Smith <pa...@lawlex.com.au>.
On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 19:35, Tormod Omholt-Jensen wrote:
> I use Chainsaw for monitoring a system.  Some times if Chainsaw runs for a
> long time, Chainsaw reports an out of memory exception.  When t is happens,
> my application is blocked until the Chainsaw process is killed.  I use
> Chainsaw v1.   Anyone who has experience something similar?

Chainsaw v1 has this limitation.  Chainsaw v2 does not, it can use a
rolling cyclic buffer of a configurable size so you do not run out of
memory.

See here for more info, including how to get Chainsaw v2:

http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/chainsaw.html

Installation instructions are here:

http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/chainsaw.html#Installation

cheers,