Posted to rivet-dev@tcl.apache.org by Taneli Saastamoinen <ts...@cs.helsinki.fi> on 2004/02/21 19:20:01 UTC

.rvt:

All right, I managed to work around the Apache-segfaulting stat64
problem. I just wasn't able to recompile a working Apache with the
stat64 option David hinted at, so I took another machine, installed
Debian stable on it (with some components from testing), and everything
worked just right.

Now that I'm able to use the parse command, I noticed something else
interesting. IIRC the recommended way to start an XHTML page is:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

Now, the problem is that when I try to create a .rvt page that starts
like this, Rivet of course interprets the <? and things don't work...
With a .tcl script I can just puts the thing, but .rvt files are parsed
in a way that seems to prevents this:

<?
puts {<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-15"?>}
?>

Rivet seems to intercept the ?>, resulting in the following:

missing close-brace
    while compiling
"namespace eval request {
puts -nonewline ""

puts {<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-15"
puts -nonewline "\}
?>

"

}

I got things to work using the following:

puts "\<\?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"ISO-8859-15\"\?\>"

So I'm not sure if this is a bug. However, I asked Setok about it and he
said I should report it. :) Perhaps Rivet should try to detect whether
?>'s are inside {}'s, and not interpret them if they are?

--
DOS: Da Oikea käyttiS

Re: .rvt:

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
Karl Lehenbauer <ka...@sc.com> writes:

> On Feb 25, 2004, at 6:59 AM, David N. Welton wrote:

> > "tcl" seems like a logical tag.

> > I added some code to the build scripts in order to make this
> > configurable via make.tcl.  Maybe it should even go into the
> > configure script?

> So at the risk of looking stupid, does this mean that people can
> create Rivet sites that require Rivet to be specifically compiled to
> support the tag they chose to use?

Well - yes.  I'm open to other ways of doing it though.  Could be
configurable at run time, for instance.

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: .rvt:

Posted by Karl Lehenbauer <ka...@sc.com>.

Re: .rvt:

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
Damon Courtney <da...@your.unreality.com> writes:

> > Damon Courtney <da...@your.unreality.com> writes:

> > >     I think we're probably gonna' keep running into this.  I don't
> > > know though.  PHP gets along just fine without having to do anything
> > > fancy.  Any clue how they do it?

> > It's a configuration option so that you can use <?php or just <? if
> > you want.  Maybe that's the way to go...

>     Sounds good to me.  I would make it a compile option that can be
> specified for the make script.  Should we let them put anything they
> want, or should we be specific about what is allowed (IE: <?rvt or
> <?tcl)?

>     If I had to pick, I'd probably choose <?tcl ?>. 0-]

"tcl" seems like a logical tag.

I added some code to the build scripts in order to make this
configurable via make.tcl.  Maybe it should even go into the configure
script?

Have a look at it...

Re: .rvt:

Posted by Damon Courtney <da...@your.unreality.com>.

Re: .rvt:

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.

Re: .rvt:

Posted by Damon Courtney <da...@your.unreality.com>.

Re: .rvt:

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
Taneli Saastamoinen <ts...@cs.helsinki.fi> writes:

> So I'm not sure if this is a bug. However, I asked Setok about it
> and he said I should report it. :) Perhaps Rivet should try to
> detect whether ?>'s are inside {}'s, and not interpret them if they
> are?

Hrm, I'll think about it, although it starts making the parser more
complicated.

Another thing you could do is change these in rivetParser.h:

#define STARTING_SEQUENCE "<?"
#define ENDING_SEQUENCE "?>"