Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by jim kraai <jk...@murl.com> on 2000/02/09 21:42:54 UTC

How? RMI Policies File

Greetings,

How can I get Tomcat to use a policies file to do RMI?

I have a policies file.

I have a servlet that attempts to make use of RMI, but I don't
see where I can tell Tomcat to use the policies file.

I get:
exception: java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.net.SocketPermission <IP address:port> connect,resolve)
when I try to access the servlet via a browser.

Thanks,

--jim

Re: messy web.xml

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cm...@mytownnet.com>.
Daniel Rall wrote:

> > > I think the web.xml file sould be cleaned up a bit... lets face it, you
> > > don't need to see all those mime type params etc.
> > > Anyway, it makes it harder to read, and more likely to get broaken...
> >
> > No way, it's part of the spec and we have to live with it.
> > ( I don't like it either )
>
> Is it possible to move the MIME type definitions into another file, and have
> web.xml include the mime_type.xml file?

Not without changing the servlet specification.  It also violates the whole
concept of a self-describing web application.

But really, why do you care at all what web.xml looks like?  Maintain it with a
GUI tool, or a servlet based tool, or whatever, and you will never even have to
look at XML config files agan.  All that's needed is for someone to build such a
tool.  Volunteers are welcome to contribute this to Jakarta
<http://jakarta.apache.org> as a sample application.  :-)

Craig McClanahan

Re: messy web.xml

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.

Posted by co...@costin.dnt.ro.
> I think the web.xml file sould be cleaned up a bit... lets face it, you
> don't need to see all those mime type params etc.
> Anyway, it makes it harder to read, and more likely to get broaken...

No way, it's part of the spec and we have to live with it.
( I don't like it either )

Costin

messy web.xml

Posted by Brill Pappin <br...@jmonkey.com>.
I think the web.xml file sould be cleaned up a bit... lets face it, you
don't need to see all those mime type params etc.
Anyway, it makes it harder to read, and more likely to get broaken...

Maybe it could be separated into two different files: mime.xml and
web.xml... even changing the way the values are stored, and using attributes
instead of nested elements would make things a lot cleaner.

better yet, instead of mime.xml call it context.xml as I assume that sinse
the mime stuff is in web.xml, each context can have its own mime types?
Anyway, all the context params could then go into that file.... web.xml is
not to bad a name... I supose it could be called servlets.xml but its not
really important... Other portions of the current web.xml could go into
context.xml as well.. .such as session params, and the stuff on welcome
files.

- Brill Pappin
  www.jmonkey.com