Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Dawid Weiss <da...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/16 10:04:46 UTC

Java 1.6 EOL

So close!

https://blogs.oracle.com/henrik/entry/updated_java_6_eol_date?msgid=3-6077692575

Dawid

Re: Java 1.6 EOL

Posted by Martijn v Groningen <ma...@gmail.com>.
Maybe some time after the 4.x branch is created, the trunk can move to Java
7?
3.x branch supports Java 5, 4.x and current trunk support Java 6. Seems
natural to me that the future 5.x and future trunk would support Java 7...

Martijn

On 16 March 2012 15:50, Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com> wrote:

> OK, that settles that <G>, 1.6 going forward.
>

> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 9:28 AM, Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de> wrote:
> > Sorry, I misunderstood the original question...
> >
> > -1 to *only* support Java 7 in both Lucene and Solr. This is way to
> early.
> >
> > Java 7 is not yet released to the public end user, you can only get it as
> > "developer" resource, not on official end-user java download triggered
> e.g.
> > from the browser on missing plugin.
> >
> > Uwe
> >
> > --
> > Uwe Schindler
> > H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, 28213 Bremen
> > http://www.thetaphi.de
> >

> > Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com> schrieb:
> >>
> >> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 9:49 AM, Erick Erickson <
> erickerickson@gmail.com>
> of
> >>
> >> Lucene's purpose is to be a dependency for other projects, and that
> >> would force all those projects to require Java7 also.  Seems like that
> >> should wait.
> >>
> >> Solr is a different matter, and has historically moved to new Java
> >> versions earlier.  But it feels a bit early there too... unless the
> >> features in Java7 outweigh the potential pain to people when we
> >> require it.
> >> From a practical development point of view, it would be nice to have
> >> 4.x and 5.0 on the same Java version to minimize backporting pain.
> >>
> >> -Yonik
> >> lucenerevolution.com - Lucene/Solr
> >>   Open
> >> Source Search Conference.
> >> Boston May 7-10

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martijn van Groningen

Re: Java 1.6 EOL

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Re: Java 1.6 EOL

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.

Re: Java 1.6 EOL

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.

Re: Java 1.6 EOL

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Which just begs the question (sorry if it has been discussed before) of
whether we should officially only support Solr/Lucene 4.0 under Java 1.7.

Erick

Re: Java 1.6 EOL

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
I see no problem in supporting Java 7. All tests run with Java 7, both 3.x and trunk. I have a production instance of Lucene running with Java 7. The only requirement is u1.

Lucene 3.5 was the first version not only compiling against Java 7 worked, but also running all tests. The code already makes use of reflection detected Java 7 code when reporting supressed Exceptions.

Re: Java 1.6 EOL

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Re: Java 1.6 EOL

Posted by DM Smith <dm...@gmail.com>.
On 03/16/2012 05:04 AM, Dawid Weiss wrote:
> So close!
>
> https://blogs.oracle.com/henrik/entry/updated_java_6_eol_date?msgid=3-6077692575
>
> Dawid

It's only close as a date. It is rather far away in practice. It is
developer only at this point.

Also, they are working on a Mac version, but I doubt it will be
available before 6 is EOL. And when it is available, I wonder how far
back it will go in support of prior Mac OS versions.

That said, I think it is reasonable to expect that Lucene 1.x, 2.x, 3.x,
4.x will be run on Java 7 and that it will run well. While 1.x and 2.x
require 1.4, 3.x requires 5, and 4.x requires 6. It might be good to
test (some of) these using 7. That is build with a prior version and
test with a more recent version.

Is there a place (e.g. on the wiki) that states what is supported as a jre?

-- DM