Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> on 2007/03/01 00:12:19 UTC

[VOTE] 2.0-M3 Release

I have gotten past the hurdles and present for your reviewing
pleasure Geronimo 2.0-M3.

All assemblies as well as source are available.  http://
people.apache.org/~hogstrom/2.0-M3-rc1

I have tested a few of the assemblies by deploying and running
DayTrader and now its your turn.

This vote will conclude Saturday at 1800 Eastern time.

Re: [VOTE] 2.0-M3 Release

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On Feb 28, 2007, at 3:12 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> I have gotten past the hurdles and present for your reviewing
> pleasure Geronimo 2.0-M3.
>
> All assemblies as well as source are available.  http://
> people.apache.org/~hogstrom/2.0-M3-rc1
>
> I have tested a few of the assemblies by deploying and running
> DayTrader and now its your turn.
>
> This vote will conclude Saturday at 1800 Eastern time.

I'm going to hold my vote until the testing of this M3 cut is complete.

Regards,
Alan

Re: [VOTE] 2.0-M3 Release

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 28, 2007, at 9:35 PM, Joe Bohn wrote:

> Matt Hogstrom wrote:
>> I have gotten past the hurdles and present for your reviewing
>> pleasure Geronimo 2.0-M3.
>> All assemblies as well as source are available.  http://
>> people.apache.org/~hogstrom/2.0-M3-rc1
>> I have tested a few of the assemblies by deploying and running
>> DayTrader and now its your turn.
>> This vote will conclude Saturday at 1800 Eastern time.
>
> Way to go Matt!!!
>
> Here's what I observed.
>
> Building from source zip:
> - At first I tried just to build using mvn.  This failed because it
> was looking for a car-maven-plugin with version 2.0-M3.  jdillon
> then reminded me that I needed to run bootstrap first.  mvn -
> Dstage=bootstrap failed with missing:
> org.apache.cxf:cxf-rt-transports-http:jar:2.0-incubator-
> RC-20070213210000
> org.apache.cxf:cxf-rt-frontend-jaxws:jar:2.0-incubator-
> RC-20070213210000
>  ... Do these jars need to be added to the local repo in the image?
> I'm not certain that it is essential to be able to build from the
> image source.
>

> Binary images:
> - I started all 4 server images ... played with a few portlets on
> the web console for the jee5 images, and deployed a simple war
> file.  All that went fine.
> - One annoying thing was that after having started the server
> images using the startup script I couldn't terminate them using the
> shutdown script.  I received this:
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/
> apache/geronimo/deployment/cli/StopServer
>   ... However, I could still shut it down via the web console (in
> the case of the jee5 images).  We could probably just document that
> it must be terminated via the web console and recommend java -jar
> to start the minimal images so that ctrl-c can be used to terminate
> it.

You can always run the server in the foreground using "geronimo.sh
run". Which is what I normally use, except when debugging (where i
use "geronimo.sh jpda run", instead). This would be preferred to java
-jar.

--kevan

Re: [VOTE] 2.0-M3 Release

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
Matt Hogstrom wrote:
> I have gotten past the hurdles and present for your reviewing pleasure
> Geronimo 2.0-M3.
>
> All assemblies as well as source are available.
> http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/2.0-M3-rc1
>
> I have tested a few of the assemblies by deploying and running DayTrader
> and now its your turn.
>
> This vote will conclude Saturday at 1800 Eastern time.

Way to go Matt!!!

Here's what I observed.

Building from source zip:
- At first I tried just to build using mvn.  This failed because it was
looking for a car-maven-plugin with version 2.0-M3.  jdillon then
reminded me that I needed to run bootstrap first.  mvn -Dstage=bootstrap
failed with missing:
org.apache.cxf:cxf-rt-transports-http:jar:2.0-incubator-RC-20070213210000
org.apache.cxf:cxf-rt-frontend-jaxws:jar:2.0-incubator-RC-20070213210000
  ... Do these jars need to be added to the local repo in the image?
I'm not certain that it is essential to be able to build from the image
source.

Binary images:
- I started all 4 server images ... played with a few portlets on the
web console for the jee5 images, and deployed a simple war file.  All
that went fine.
- One annoying thing was that after having started the server images
using the startup script I couldn't terminate them using the shutdown
script.  I received this:
org/apache/geronimo/deployment/cli/StopServer
   ... However, I could still shut it down via the web console (in the
case of the jee5 images).  We could probably just document that it must
be terminated via the web console and recommend java -jar to start the
minimal images so that ctrl-c can be used to terminate it.

thoughts?

Given that this is a milestone I'm +1 even with these issues.  I think
could document the shutdown problem and make the cxf jars available
someplace for download.

Joe

Re: [VOTE] 2.0-M3 Release

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
+1

--jason

Re: [VOTE] 2.0-M3 Release

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
+1 Looks good

--kevan

Re: [VOTE] 2.0-M3 Release

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
+1

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.JacekLaskowski.pl

Re: [VOTE] 2.0-M3 Release

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
On Feb 28, 2007, at 7:11 PM, Jacek Laskowski wrote:

> On 3/1/07, Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> wrote:
>> I have gotten past the hurdles and present for your reviewing
>> pleasure Geronimo 2.0-M3.
>
> Before I get swamped testing the puppy I wonder how you finally worked
> out the issues with SNAPSHOTs? Just curious (I might've found it out
> myself, but thought it's easier to ask ;-))

Its a good question; I didn't.  I started down the path of resolving
a few SNAPSHOTs (forgetting for a milestone we don't need to) but
discovered a very important problem.  If we need to resolve artifacts
when we do the actual 2.0 release its going to get a little ugly.
I'm glad I found out now as we'll have to build the jars ourself or
something.

Re: [VOTE] 2.0-M3 Release

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Re: [VOTE] 2.0-M3 Release

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.
+1

Cheers!
Hernan

Re: [VOTE] 2.0-M3 Release

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] 2.0-M3 Release

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
All the usual set of apps deployed and started to run fine.

Undeploy (on Windows) is an issue that has been documented in the release notes.

+1

Cheers
Prasad

Re: [VOTE] 2.0-M3 Release

Posted by "Christopher M. Cardona" <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1

Best wishes,
chris

Re: [VOTE] 2.0-M3 Release

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] 2.0-M3 Release

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
+1

-dain

Re: [VOTE] 2.0-M3 Release

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
Sachin,  this is actually the default behavior in tomcat.  You can
change the setting in geronimo/var/catalina/conf/web.xml but there's a
warning associated with it:

  <!--   listings            Should directory listings be produced if there -->
  <!--                       is no welcome file in this directory?  [false] -->
  <!--                       WARNING: Listings for directories with many    -->
  <!--                       entries can be slow and may consume            -->
  <!--                       significant proportions of server resources.   -->
    [...]
    <servlet>
        <servlet-name>default</servlet-name>
         [...]
        <init-param>
            <param-name>listings</param-name>
            <param-value>false</param-value>
        </init-param>
    </servlet>

Best wishes,
Paul

Re: [VOTE] 2.0-M3 Release

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] 2.0-M3 Release

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.

Re: [RESULTS] 2.0-M3 Release 12 +1 votes ... vote passes

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
Late vote +1.   Make that 13.   Thought I voted already, but guess not.

-David

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Re: [VOTE] 2.0-M3 Release

Posted by Anita Kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
+1
   Not being able to use database pool wizard was a minor annoyance.
   I was able to deploy from command line using bin\deploy. DB Manager
on console is working fine.

Thanks
Anita

--- Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> wrote:

> I have gotten past the hurdles and present for your reviewing
> pleasure Geronimo 2.0-M3.
>
> All assemblies as well as source are available.  http://
> people.apache.org/~hogstrom/2.0-M3-rc1
>
> I have tested a few of the assemblies by deploying and running
> DayTrader and now its your turn.
>
> This vote will conclude Saturday at 1800 Eastern time.

Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.