Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/15 22:07:09 UTC

Eclipse plugin ITs was Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Eclipse Plugin version 2.9

Thanks a lot for this hard wok Barrie

yes it was my problem too Robert.
ITs are now very difficult to use/maintain and sadly are covering only the
fact that what we generate is always the same and not that it is working in
eclipse.
As far as I remember this is the larger plugin we have in lines of codes
and also the dirtiest one as it was built from many many contributors
(because of the variety of usages and eclipse versions)

Since that, I had the chance to switch from eclipse to intellij and it
solved all my issues.

cheers,

Arnaud

Re: Eclipse plugin ITs was Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Eclipse Plugin version 2.9

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
The marriage of eclipse and maven poses fundamental challenges that
don't exist for Intellij or Netbeans.

Of the three major Java IDE's, only Eclipse incorporates its own
classpath and compiler system. IJ and NB 'just run maven' and analyze
the output for display. Eclipse, on the other hand, actually compiles.
Further, Eclipse builds WAR files, and runs tools like checkstyle,
pmd, and findbugs via its plugin architecture -- typically with an
entirely different configuration system than maven's.

Each of m-e-p and m2e is an attempt to bridge these gaps. m-e-p can't
solve the problem that eclipse has one classpath and maven has two,
nor the problem of bridging configuration one plugin at a time.

m2e, on the other hand, has a very difficult hill to climb. mvn and
eclipse each has a complex class loader system. At best, the result of
running maven inside the eclipse jvm is an even more gigantic thirst
for memory (and particularly permgen space). m2e's long-term success
depends on eclipse changes to accomodate the maven classpath model.
It's also just a giant effort of a small group of people. Dealing with
the Eclipse release train system doesn't make their life any easier,
either.

The net result is that many people find IJ, or even NB, to provide a
less frustrating experience.

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.