Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Chuck Carson <Ch...@syrrx.com> on 2002/09/13 00:50:50 UTC

Does Tomcat require restart when chaning classes?

I had the following class:
$TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/classes/MyClass.class

If I modify this class (ie recompile) how can I make it active w/o
restarting tomcat? As it stands now (with my current server config,
which is pretty much default) I can only get news changes visible after
a server restart.

Thanks,
CC

Chuck Carson
Sr. Systems Administrator
Syrrx, Inc.
10410 Science Center Drive
San Diego, CA 92121
E: ccarson@syrrx.com <ma...@syrrx.com>
W: 858.731.3540
M: 858.442.0827

----------
the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not
delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be
guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be
contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any
errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a
result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please
request a hard-copy version.

RE: JMX??

Posted by micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
Thanks Jacob.  Looking it up now.  Looks like there is lots of room here to
do things.

RE: JMX??

Posted by Jacob Hookom <ho...@uwec.edu>.

Re: JMX??

Posted by micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.

Re: Does Tomcat require restart when chaning classes?

Posted by Ronald Klop <ro...@klop.yi.org>.

Why not just enable the manager webapp and call:

http://localhost/manager/reload?path=/<webapp>

You don't need to enable 'reloadable' for this.

Greetings,

Ronald.

Mauro Daniel Ardolino wrote:
| I think you have to restart Tomcat for changes like this.
| Do someone know another way to do it?
|
| Mauro
|
| On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Chuck Carson wrote:
|

|>I had the following class:
|>$TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/classes/MyClass.class
|>
|>If I modify this class (ie recompile) how can I make it active w/o
|>restarting tomcat? As it stands now (with my current server config,
|>which is pretty much default) I can only get news changes visible after
|>a server restart.
|>
|>Thanks,
|>CC
|>
|>Chuck Carson
|>Sr. Systems Administrator
|>Syrrx, Inc.
|>10410 Science Center Drive
|>San Diego, CA 92121
|>E: ccarson@syrrx.com <ma...@syrrx.com>
|>W: 858.731.3540
|>M: 858.442.0827
|>

|>----------
|>This message contains confidential information and is intended only for
|>the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not
|>disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender
|>immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and
|>delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be
|>guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be
|>intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or
|>contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any
|>errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a
|>result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please
|>request a hard-copy version.

- --
~ Ronald Klop
~ Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Re: Does Tomcat require restart when chaning classes?

Posted by Michael Nicholson <ma...@email.unc.edu>.
I've never used it (I'm lazy and restarting is easy...), but the manager app
can unload apps and then deploy them... that might do it...

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Posted by Miguel Angel Mulero Martinez <mi...@mad.tecsidel.es>.
Yes, for me always work fine.

Posted by Felipe Schnack <fe...@ritterdosreis.br>.
  This actually works for you? Never did for me. Maybe because the files
arent' JARed?
On Fri, 2002-09-13 at 09:37, Miguel Angel Mulero Martinez wrote:
> In the context of the application, put the reloadable="true" attribute. If
> you don't have a context for this application, you can put a:
>
> 	<DefaultContext reloadable="true" />
>
> Bye...

Felipe Schnack
Analista de Sistemas
felipes@ritterdosreis.br
Cel.: (51)91287530
Linux Counter #281893

Faculdade Ritter dos Reis
www.ritterdosreis.br
felipes@ritterdosreis.br
Fone/Fax.: (51)32303328

RE: Does Tomcat require restart when chaning classes?

Posted by Mauro Daniel Ardolino <ma...@altersoft.com.ar>.
Very helpfull! Specially when you are developing. Thank you.

Mauro

Posted by Mauro Daniel Ardolino <ma...@altersoft.com.ar>.

JMX??

Posted by Mauro Daniel Ardolino <ma...@altersoft.com.ar>.