Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> on 2012/03/13 05:01:21 UTC

Re: Couchbase trademark issues

(Whoops! Apologies for mixed up subjects and poor threading; I'm not on
dev@)

I just wanted to add one other comment about this previous note:

James Hayton wrote on Feb 20, 2012:
> Maybe a crazy idea, but since the end result of any legal stuff would
> be somebody changing the name of something, why doesn't Apache
> CouchDB just re brand itself? I mean we need a website makeover,
> etc... Why don't we just ditch the name and come up with something
> better with a new vision, new leadership, etc... Lets put a few
> features in that people have been asking for, include the big couch
> code (clustering), create a new website and call it something
> different. (CouchDB 2.0 Becomes AwesomeDB lol)
>
> I understand that alot of people have quite a bit invested in the
> name CouchDB, at this may not be something realistic, but this just
> seems like at least another option we should discuss.
>
> Just my .02.
>
> James

If the bulk of the Apache CouchDB PMC truly wanted to consider a rename
(and discussed and [VOTE]d on the matter, then we'd certainly help that
to happen.  The PMC *is* who gets to decide the project direction.

But I'm confident that's *not* the case, since several folks have spoken
out against it.  I personally think it would be a really bad idea to
change the CouchDB name - especially since CouchDB is arguably the first
project that gave such brand recognition to the "Couch" name in the
noSQL database arena.

In most trademark issues, I'd think more people would ask why the
*follow-on* products don't change their names, rather than the original
product.  But in this case, I'm hoping that the pain of renaming is not
necessary, and we can reduce user confusion by both improving our own
story, as well as asking other Couch-named products to better
differentiate themselves and better give us - this PMC, the committers,
and the ASF - the credit we deserve for building and shipping Apache
CouchDB itself in the first place.

- Shane

Re: Couchbase trademark issues

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On Mar 13, 2012, at 20:52 , Miles Fidelman wrote:

> Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>>
>> I'd be interested to hear what other measures you think Couchbase could
>> take? Feel free to take this to private@apache.couchdb.org to discuss
>> with the PMC as well.
>>
> One that that might help a lot is a really serious definition of what Couchbase is - particularly in visible locations like the front page of couchbase.com.  While the name implies a close relationship to CouchDB, I really can't, for the life of me, find a clear description of what it does.
>
> I mean, CouchDB is very clearly:
> - "a document-oriented database that can be queried and indexed using JavaScript in a MapReduce fashion"
> - "A document database server, accessible via a RESTful JSON API."
> with http://couchdb.apache.org/docs/intro.html and http://couchdb.apache.org/docs/overview.html elaborating quite nicely.
> (Less visible is that CouchDB is a great application development platform.  I refer to couchapps, of course).
>
> On the other hand, all I can figure out from couchbase.com is:
> - "Couchbase is open source NoSQL for mission-critical systems." and that one can
> - "spread your data across a cluster of machines and randomly access it with sub-millisecond latency"
> - and it's pretty quickly obvious that the most salient features of CouchDB (RESTful interface, application platform) are missing from Couchbase
> - by and large, it's completely useless for the kinds of things I'm working on (except maybe as a backend to add some scalability down the line)
>
> What CouchDB is, and why one might use it is very clearly defined.
>
> On the other hand, Couchbase materials (website, white paper, ...) make a generic case for NoSQL databases - but one that could equally apply to Hadoop, Riak, graph databases, and the whole range of NoSQL technologies and products.
>
> Seems to me that not only would a very clear use case and functional description for Couchbase help distinguish the two, but would also help Couchbase position itself in the space of available technologies and in the marketplace.  If anything, the "Couch" in Couchbase implies that it's something like CouchDB - which it really isn't.  At best, it's not very helpful, at worst it's rather misleading.

[Couchbase hat]: Thanks for the input, we hope to address these things on our website, please await my report before suggesting other things for the website. I was looking for *additional* things you might think we can do.

Cheers
Jan

Posted by Miles Fidelman <mf...@meetinghouse.net>.

Posted by Johs Ensby <jo...@b2w.com>.
I agree that is very hard to consolidate reliable docs and posts on CouchDB for the time being, however redirecting to old stuff is NOT the solution.
A good wiki is the way to go!

For the trademark discussion, a consistent use of the name CouchDB should do the trick provided the importance of visual identity is not overlooked.
The red couch logo is brilliant and is much more important for avoiding the confusion around couch-and-something, than the names.

Contrasted to Couchbase's retro-look the crisp, smart CouchDB logo is all the project need to maintain an unconfused identity.
This is top notch identity design. Who created it?

johs

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>.

Posted by Kurt Milam <ku...@xioup.com>.

Posted by Kurt Milam <ku...@xioup.com>.

Posted by Nick North <no...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Smith <jh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bob Dionne <di...@dionne-associates.com>.
Jan,

Here's my two cents as a couchdb committer.

I don't think you (Couchbase) need to do anything. My observation is that there has been more representation about end-user confusion than there has been actual end-user confusion. In fact it's now become an assumption. It also strikes me that there is no confusion on the part of the posters making such representations.

There is no trademark issue. This may be a minority of one legal opinion.

As an aside, thanks for resuming the practice of publishing status reports, I think it helps inform community members who don't frequent the chat rooms. As a suggestion you might consider listing the things you'd like to see as accomplishments in the next status report.

Regards,

Bob

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
> [...]

>> happen.  The PMC *is* who gets to decide the project direction.
>>
>> But I'm confident that's *not* the case, since several folks have spoken out
>> against it.  I personally think it would be a really bad idea to change the
>> CouchDB name - especially since CouchDB is arguably the first project that
>> gave such brand recognition to the "Couch" name in the noSQL database arena.
>>
>> In most trademark issues, I'd think more people would ask why the
>> *follow-on* products don't change their names, rather than the original
>> product.  But in this case, I'm hoping that the pain of renaming is not
>> necessary, and we can reduce user confusion by both improving our own story,
>> as well as asking other Couch-named products to better differentiate
>> themselves and better give us - this PMC, the committers, and the ASF - the
>> credit we deserve for building and shipping Apache CouchDB itself in the

Posted by ro...@gmail.com.
I know I kicked this all off on dev a few weeks ago so I'd just like to say
that from my perspective, as a developer using the product in production
systems and trying to sell it to other clients as a suitable technology to
use, Robert has it spot on.

Roger

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.