Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Andy Lewis <aj...@ascii27.net> on 2003/01/24 15:16:59 UTC

POI components....

Has anyone built a genreator for XLS files? I looked around the source tree and didn't see
anything.....

THanks!

--
"The heights of genius are only measurable by the depths of stupidity."

Re: POI components....

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
I always planned to but the serializer never seemed to make the waves
I'd hoped for.  I needed more feedback and it needed more of a
community...So I waited.  Some refactoring is going on for HSSF, once
thats done the generator effort will be effortless.  I'm also
considering abandoning gnumeric for a 1-1 correllated format.
(basically just taking the HSSF records and translating them back and
forth to-fro xml... this is roughly the approach microsoft is taking)...

Since gnumeric is ditching their own format, it seems like a reasonable
time to re-evaluate.  Back at that time we thought that it was a good
way to help escape the criticism that we were propegating the formats
(hence the goofy names too) and maybe bring folks together.  However, I
think we're past this and <humor>I don't really care about criticism
anymore ;-) everyone can now just bite me </humor> ;-)

If I get more of a hand with the Serializer, I'll spend more time on it
and maybe hit the generator.  Its no longer going to serve my original
purpose for it (reporting) as I've got another approach to interfacing
with HSSF.  However, it really depends on some folks stepping up to the
plate.

-Andy

Re: POI components....

Posted by Andy Lewis <aj...@ascii27.net>.