Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Jon Reinsch <Jo...@noaa.gov> on 2002/12/05 18:18:54 UTC

win32 testing only?

At
http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/getwet.html#Installing_mod_perl_for_Window
it says:
"we recommend that mod_perl on Windows be used only for testing
purposes, not in production"

Does this apply to mod_perl 1.0 only, or to 2.0 as well? If both, is it
likely to change anytime soon?

(I reached the page above by going to
http://perl.apache.org/start/index.html, clicking on "Get Your Feet
Wet", and then on "Installing mod_perl for Windows".)

Re: win32 testing only?

Posted by Kyle Oppenheim <ky...@tellme.com>.
The warning applies to mod_perl 1.x.  The reason is that mod_perl 1.0 is
single-threaded.  In a UNIX environment, Apache (1.x) forks many child
processes to handle requests which each have their own embedded Perl
interpreter.  In Win32, Apache has many threads to handle requests which all
share a single Perl interpreter with a global lock around it -- effectively
serializing all requests that depend on mod_perl.

Mod_perl 2.0 can run multiple Perl interpreters in a single process (using
new thread features introduced in Perl 5.6.0-5.8.0) so the need for the
global lock on Win32 systems is not necessary.  Also, Apache Portable
Runtime -- new in in Apache 2.0 -- has explicit Win32 support unlike Apache
1.x which had it grafted on.

There are no plans to update mod_perl 1.x to support threading.  Note that
mod_perl 2.0 is still beta, so it might not be ready for your production
environment yet either.

I don't have any experience running mod_perl on Win32, but I think the
mod_perl 2.0 code is starting to stabalize enough that you could probably
work-around its problems easier than working-around the performance
bottleneck of 1.0.  ymmv.

- Kyle