Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Andrea Spina <an...@radicalbit.io> on 2018/08/23 13:44:58 UTC

Kafka Connect REST connector with additional logging to kafka

Dear community,

I'd figure out a kafka connect HTTP/REST sink connector X capable of
achieving PUT actions on an external web service A. I saw some side
projects already implementing something similar [1]. In addition to this
feature, I'd like to log to kafka the answers returning by A so that I can
use it later somewhere else.

Since I can't find some examples on that (connectors logging to kafka as
"side effect"), my first question is if the former design is something
doable by Kafka Connect and if it well fits the architecture.

I need this connector because I'm trying to keep it stateless (avoid
storing any state), because AFAIU Kafka Connect technology is not demanded
to keep states along its implementation. Theoretically, if I could store a
state within my kafka connector instance, it'd be way easier achieving my
task.

So my last question is: is, the fact that connectors should be stateless,
actually true? And why shouldn't I store states through a connector? (I can
eventually open another thread on this if this one is overloaded).

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you for your work.

[1] - https://github.com/llofberg/kafka-connect-rest
--
*Andrea Spina*
Software Engineer @ Radicalbit Srl

Re: Kafka Connect REST connector with additional logging to kafka

Posted by Andrea Spina <an...@radicalbit.io>.
Hello community, any hints on this, then?

Thank you, Andrea

Posted by Andrea Spina <an...@radicalbit.io>.
Hi Andrew,

Posted by Andrew Otto <ot...@wikimedia.org>.