Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2006/05/02 20:30:45 UTC

Jira migration Was: [VOTE][all] Switch to Jira

On 5/2/06, Gary Gregory <gg...@seagullsoftware.com> wrote:

> > * Cleanup Commons project (we'll  still use it as a
> > catch-all). Delete components/versions.
>
> This does not match:
>
> > * Make Bugzilla read-only
>
> What about creating an 'Catch all' product in JIRA and only using JIRA?

It would be. My fault for not saying Jira/Bugzilla when refering to
the Commons project.

We'd suck all the data into a project in Jira called Commons. Then
we'd move stuff out of it into individual projects until we had just
[site]/[all] issues left. Then we'd delete the versions and components
in that Jira project and it becomes our catch-all Jira project.

Hen

Re: Jira migration Was: [VOTE][all] Switch to Jira

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 5/2/06, Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 5/2/06, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > We'd suck all the data into a project in Jira called Commons. Then
> > we'd move stuff out of it into individual projects until we had just
> > [site]/[all] issues left. Then we'd delete the versions and components
> > in that Jira project and it becomes our catch-all Jira project.
>

> The problem with that is that you can be sure that plenty of people will
> file issues under something called just "Commons" without looking for the
> component. We'd be better off, IMHO, creating explicit components for 'site'
> and 'all'. (I'm not at all convinced we need the latter, though, since there
> would be issues with figuring out when it's ready to be marked Closed.)

It does sound likely. Looking at Bugzilla, there are 6 issues for
[site], one of which was more to do with the build system.

Let's go ahead and have a Commons Site project, and forget about the
all bit, or keeping the Commons project used for the migration.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Martin Cooper wrote:

>> > This does not match:

>> > What about creating an 'Catch all' product in JIRA and only using JIRA?
>>
>> It would be. My fault for not saying Jira/Bugzilla when refering to
>> the Commons project.
>>
>> We'd suck all the data into a project in Jira called Commons. Then
>> we'd move stuff out of it into individual projects until we had just
>> [site]/[all] issues left. Then we'd delete the versions and components
>> in that Jira project and it becomes our catch-all Jira project.
>

> The problem with that is that you can be sure that plenty of people will
> file issues under something called just "Commons" without looking for the
> component. We'd be better off, IMHO, creating explicit components for
> 'site' and 'all'. (I'm not at all convinced we need the latter, though,
> since there would be issues with figuring out when it's ready to be marked
> Closed.)

Use general for issues, that applies to all components. If a user creates an
issue here (or anywhere else) where it does not belong - simply move it.
JIRA creates internal redirects.

- Jörg

Re: Jira migration Was: [VOTE][all] Switch to Jira

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

--
Martin Cooper

Hen