Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Yaron Gvili <rt...@hotmail.com> on 2022/08/16 16:34:24 UTC

dealing with tester timeout in a CI job

Hi,

What are some acceptable ways to handle a timeout failure in a CI job for a tester I implemented? For reference, I got such a timeout for only one MacOS related CI job, while the other CI jobs did not get such a timeout.

Let's assume that I cannot (easily) make the tests run any faster. Is it possible/acceptable to change the timeout, and how? to turn off some of the tests for one or all CI jobs, and how? to split the tester into several, so that each meets the timeout allotment?

Cheers,
Yaron.

Re: dealing with tester timeout in a CI job

Posted by Weston Pace <we...@gmail.com>.
Yes, sorry, SCOPED_TRACE and not SCOPED_TEST (and ARROW_SCOPED_TRACE,
which hides SCOPED_TRACE, is best).  You can read about it at [1] but
it basically says "Here is a message that should be printed if the
test fails in this block of code"

[1] http://google.github.io/googletest/advanced.html#adding-traces-to-assertions

Posted by Antoine Pitrou <an...@python.org>.
Look for ARROW_SCOPED_TRACE