Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Tao Xie <xi...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/21 03:36:53 UTC

performance regression after hbase restart

hi, I know regions will be reassigned when hbase cluster restarts. My
regionserver and my datanode sit on same physical node. So in my tests after
I restart hbase cluster, performance number drops, I guess this is due to
data locality problem. But in a further experiment, I increase the
replication factor to cluster size ( I have 8 nodes). After restart and
major compaction, the performance still cannot catch up with the best
scenario. I checked datanode log, most hdfs read has same src and dest node.

Anyone give me some hints on this? I wonder if anything happens during
region reassignment.

Thanks.

Tao

RE: performance regression after hbase restart

Posted by Jonathan Gray <jg...@fb.com>.
In HBase 0.90.0 there is a new "retain assignment" configuration parameter that makes it so your cluster keeps the same region assignment between full cluster restarts.  It is ON by default.

JG