Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Pablo Estrada <pa...@google.com> on 2020/05/07 17:50:45 UTC

Python Precommit significantly flaky

Hi all,
the Precommit tests have been flaky for a couple of days due to
ExternalTransform tests. See
https://builds.apache.org/job/beam_PreCommit_Python_Cron/ - and an example
failure:

https://builds.apache.org/job/beam_PreCommit_Python_Cron/2723/

Does somebody know about this?
Best
-P.

Re: Python Precommit significantly flaky

Posted by Brian Hulette <bh...@google.com>.
Thanks to Kyle we captured some additional logging for
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-9975. I spent a little time
looking at it and found two different issues (see details in the comments):
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-10006 - PipelineOptions can pick
up definitions from unrelated tests
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-10007 - PortableRunner doesn't
handle ValueProvider instances when converting pipeline options

10006 needs some more investigation. I _think_ the fix for 10007 is pretty
simple, but I'm not familiar with ValueProvider so I could use some
guidance.

Can anyone help out with either of these issues?

Posted by Valentyn Tymofieiev <va...@google.com>.

Posted by Brian Hulette <bh...@google.com>.
I think the previously mentioned issues are resolved now, but the python
precommit still has some flakes. I filed:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-9975 - PortableRunnerTest flake
"ParseError: Unexpected type for Value message."

An example of this is
https://builds.apache.org/job/beam_PreCommit_Python_Cron/2743/

It looks the same failure mode as
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-9907, but it occurs for
PortableRunnerTest (and sub-classes). In BEAM-9907 it was because a
PipelineOption instance was unintentionally constructed such that it read
arguments from sys.argv, and in a test it parsed arguments intended for the
test framework, not for Beam. I don't _think_ that's what's happening here,
but I'm not sure.

Could someone with more context take a look?

Brian

Posted by Ahmet Altay <al...@google.com>.

Posted by Brian Hulette <bh...@google.com>.