Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Stefan Hudson <hu...@mbay.net> on 1997/04/09 22:30:01 UTC

suexec/341: Server not running as user specified in User directive in

>Number:         341
>Category:       suexec
>Synopsis:       Server not running as user specified in User directive in <VirtualHost>
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
According to the docs, "The User directive sets the userid as which the
server will answer requests."  I have a virtual server with the following
configuration:

<VirtualHost 206.40.79.20>
ServerName www.ender.org
User hudson
ServerAdmin webmaster@ender.org
DocumentRoot /www/docs/www.ender.org
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /www/cgi-bin/hudson/
TransferLog logs/www.ender.org
</VirtualHost>

The server still uses the www:www user:gid for reading the files in
DocumentRoot; that is, if I have a file owned by me (hudson) with
permissions 0600, access to the file returns a 403.  Access to a file
owned by user "www" with the same permissions will work.  Execution of
CGI scripts using suexec does execute with the correct user (hudson).
>How-To-Repeat:
http://www.ender.org/ has two files on it, both with permissions 0600.
"hudson" is owned by me, and "www" is owned by user www, the user the
server normally runs at.
http://www.ender.org/cgi-bin/printinfo will show the UID/GID it executes
as on the bottom.  I am UID 1000, user "www" is UID 500.  This seems to
be correct.

>Fix:
Does the "User" directive in a <VirtualHost> only affect execution
of CGI scripts?  If so, the documentation should be changed to reflect
this.
%0