Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com> on 2016/09/22 19:02:02 UTC

About our LICENSE and NOTICE requirements

Hi all,

after carefully reading the Apache licensing howto [*], my understanding is
that our LICENSE and NOTICE files must be drastically simplified because,
since we are no more bundling the external dependencies, these shall not be
included in them.
Please read the document referenced below (it is a short one) and confirm
if my undersatnding is correct; then we can proceed with the editing.

Thank you,

Jacopo

[*]
http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html

Re: About our LICENSE and NOTICE requirements

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
+1 .. thank you for the research

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Jacopo,

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 9:52 PM, Jacques Le Roux <
jacques.le.roux@les7arts.com> wrote:

> After reading this page and what it tells about "/only bundled bits
> matter."/ I trust we can remove all the lines which concern *.jar files
>
> Then it will easier to think about the other bits and we will need to keep
> lines like
>
> framework/images/webapp/images/date/timezones/*
> framework/resources/fonts/NotoSans/*
>
> If no lines remain for a specific license then the license text itself can
> be removed.
>
> Using these simple rules will help to greatly reduce OFBiz LICENSE files

I agree, and I am currently working at the simplification of the LICENSE
file, which I should be able to commit, for community's review, hopefully
today.
In the process, I am also reviewing the other directions in the same
document and make sure they are implemented when applicable.

> I'm yet unsure about the NOTICE files

The NOTICE file should be treated similarly and there are useful notes in
the same document; I am working at it in parallel and I should be able to
complete my first pass today.

Thanks for the feedback,

Jacopo

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
After reading this page and what it tells about "/only bundled bits matter."/ I trust we can remove all the lines which concern *.jar files

Then it will easier to think about the other bits and we will need to keep lines like

framework/images/webapp/images/date/timezones/*
framework/resources/fonts/NotoSans/*

If no lines remain for a specific license then the license text itself can be removed.

Using these simple rules will help to greatly reduce OFBiz LICENSE files

I'm yet unsure about the NOTICE files

HTH

Jacques

Le 22/09/2016 � 21:02, Jacopo Cappellato a �crit :

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
+1 to remove it. It will be completely outdated soon anyway due to this
JIRA -> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-7415

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 23/09/2016 � 14:04, Jacques Le Roux a �crit :
> Le 23/09/2016 � 12:54, Jacopo Cappellato a �crit :

>> Where is it used? It was not mentioned in the LICENSE file but only in the
>> NOTICE file (so it could be available under the ALv2)... however I can't
>> see where it is bundled.
>>
>> Jacopo
>>
> I think we are good then, I also can't find anything.
>
> Jacques

Nothing apart that https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/31dbbaad0568120a8f989305729fbe4af584d8d998c02fe90e45363f@1212212831@%3Ccommits.ofbiz.apache.org%3E

Jacques

Re: About our LICENSE and NOTICE requirements

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 12:41 PM, Jacques Le Roux <
jacques.le.roux@les7arts.com> wrote:

> Sounds globally good to me
>
> Maybe?
> framework/resources/fonts/NotoSans/*
> framework/images/webapp/images/date/timezones/*
> framework/images/webapp/images/jquery/*
> framework/images/webapp/images/icons/*
> specialpurpose/cmssite/template/docbook/webhelp/*
> specialpurpose/cmssite/template/docbook/*
> specialpurpose/oagis/dtd/*
>
> To have things consistent (or remove the start elsewhere)

Thanks, I have corrected one line containing an unnecessary * in rev.
1762049.

I have tried to use the star consistently by following this rule:
if the dependency is made by a series of files within a folder, provide the
path to the folder without *
I have used the * in one occasion to designate a pattern to match a few
files.

> Also why do we keep only the "Open Applications Group" license text?

I hope it will go away with the "oagis" component; we have to include it
because it is not a standard license and because the license changed after
we bundled the files. I pain that I hope we eill remove by attic-ing the
component.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Sounds globally good to me

Maybe?
framework/resources/fonts/NotoSans/*
framework/images/webapp/images/date/timezones/*
framework/images/webapp/images/jquery/*
framework/images/webapp/images/icons/*
specialpurpose/cmssite/template/docbook/webhelp/*
specialpurpose/cmssite/template/docbook/*
specialpurpose/oagis/dtd/*

To have things consistent (or remove the start elsewhere)

Also why do we keep only the "Open Applications Group" license text?

I have no ideas when CoolTips was used/removed, I trust it must be removed

Jacques

Le 23/09/2016 � 11:21, Jacopo Cappellato a �crit :

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
Hi all,