Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org> on 2006/07/01 23:45:06 UTC

[collections] IteratorChain(Iterator) should be meta!

Hello,

only after a looong quest I realized that new IteratorChain(Iterator)
will only iterate through the elements of the given iterator instead of
expecting that each element is an iterator itself through which one
iterates.

Am I blurred to expect such ?
I suppose that changing this behaviour would be a too strong API
change... so should one do an IteratorThroughIterators?? I can offer a
class... if wished.

paul

Re: [collections] IteratorChain(Iterator) should be meta!

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
IteratorChain is the right class, but the constructor just adds the one
iterator.

You could use the Iterator(Collection) constructor which adds a
collection of Iterators. Perhaps use IteratorUtils.toList to create the
list?

Alternatively, you could patch IteratorChain to add a factory method
that takes an iterator and does what you wanted.

Stephen

Posted by paul womack <pw...@papermule.co.uk>.
Paul Libbrecht wrote:

> Hello,
>
> only after a looong quest I realized that new IteratorChain(Iterator)
> will only iterate through the elements of the given iterator instead of
> expecting that each element is an iterator itself through which one
> iterates.
>
> Am I blurred to expect such ?
> I suppose that changing this behaviour would be a too strong API
> change... so should one do an IteratorThroughIterators?? I can offer a
> class... if wished.

I think what you want can be handled nicely by
the (remarkable) ObjectGraphIterator class.

   BugBear