Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Dave Rodgman <Da...@arm.com> on 2004/12/23 11:31:44 UTC

ideas: revision properties & svn log

Hi all,

After looking recently at how revision properties can be used in
subversion, and reading some recent mails regarding --revprop support in
svnlook, a couple of thoughts occured to me. It seems that subversion
would benefit from having a bit more syntax for supporting revprops.

1.

It would be nice if we could have some syntax for setting revision
properties on the svn commit command line, as already described here:
http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2004-12/0501.shtml

(My motivation here, as I think someone else mentioned, is for
bug-tracking. But I'm sure there are other uses.)

2.

svn log currently lists the svn:log revprops associated with revisions
in which a given file was changed. It would be nice if we could make
this more general, i.e. list arbitrary / all revprops - currently this
information is a bit tricky to get hold of. I wonder if in fact listing
all revprops ought to be the default?

svn log file --revprop propertyname

or

svn log file --revprop svn:allprops

(syntax for the latter could no doubt be improved).

Regards

Dave

Re: ideas: revision properties & svn log

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
"Dave Rodgman" <Da...@arm.com> writes:
> After looking recently at how revision properties can be used in
> subversion, and reading some recent mails regarding --revprop support in
> svnlook, a couple of thoughts occured to me. It seems that subversion
> would benefit from having a bit more syntax for supporting revprops.
>
> 1.
>
> It would be nice if we could have some syntax for setting revision
> properties on the svn commit command line, as already described here:
> http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2004-12/0501.shtml
>
> (My motivation here, as I think someone else mentioned, is for
> bug-tracking. But I'm sure there are other uses.)

A wrapper script around the client could do this too.

(I know that's not as easy as having it built-in, but we tend to be
conservative about adding highly usage-specific new functionality.)

> 2.
>
> svn log currently lists the svn:log revprops associated with revisions
> in which a given file was changed. It would be nice if we could make
> this more general, i.e. list arbitrary / all revprops - currently this
> information is a bit tricky to get hold of. I wonder if in fact listing
> all revprops ought to be the default?
>
> svn log file --revprop propertyname
>
> or
>
> svn log file --revprop svn:allprops
>
> (syntax for the latter could no doubt be improved).

Is

   $ svn plist --revprop -rXXX URL

really too tricky?

-Karl