Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Martin Moss <ma...@btopenworld.com> on 2004/11/19 13:35:20 UTC

Urgent justification for perl

All,

I've had an urgent request for a few paragraphs on the
justification for the use of perl. In particularly
mod_perl.

Someone in the powers that be read an outdated
description and thinks that using perl is a security
risk - (I know, its not what you use, but how you use
it thats the security concern).

Any ideas?

Marty

Re: Urgent justification for perl

Posted by "Randal L. Schwartz" <me...@stonehenge.com>.

John> Martin,
John> You better have one of those "powers that be" give those crazy folks at
John> amazon.com a call and let them know that they are using an insecure
John> product for their little shopping site.

And ticketmaster (gasp)!  How could a company that handles millions
of credit cards a day ever use something like Template Toolkit and
mod_perl!  They must be *crazy*!

<me...@stonehenge.com> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>

Re: Urgent justification for perl

Posted by Steven Lembark <le...@wrkhors.com>.
> You better have one of those "powers that be" give those crazy folks at
> amazon.com a call and let them know that they are using an insecure
> product for their little shopping site.
>
> Seriously though, amazon.com uses Mason
> (http://www.masonhq.com/?AmazonDotCom) which uses mod_perl which uses
> perl. They probably do more money based transactions per day than any
> other web site (except perhaps ebay - not sure what they use), and they
> trust mod_perl.

Not mod_perl specific, but most of the large financial houses
use perl+dbi for their work also. They don't publish the fact
(or much else about their internal workings) but our language
does the deed on Wall Street.

The perl advocacy group's 'success stores' page has quite a
few more.

--
Steven Lembark                                       85-09 90th Street
Workhorse Computing                                Woodhaven, NY 11421

Re: Urgent justification for perl

Posted by John Wittkoski <jo...@aol.com>.

Martin Moss wrote on 11/19/04, 7:35 AM:

 > All,
 >
 > I've had an urgent request for a few paragraphs on the
 > justification for the use of perl. In particularly
 > mod_perl.
 >
 > Someone in the powers that be read an outdated
 > description and thinks that using perl is a security
 > risk - (I know, its not what you use, but how you use
 > it thats the security concern).
 >
 > Any ideas?

Martin,
You better have one of those "powers that be" give those crazy folks at
amazon.com a call and let them know that they are using an insecure
product for their little shopping site.

Seriously though, amazon.com uses Mason
(http://www.masonhq.com/?AmazonDotCom) which uses mod_perl which uses
perl. They probably do more money based transactions per day than any
other web site (except perhaps ebay - not sure what they use), and they
trust mod_perl.

Sorry, I know that's probably not a good "reason", but it is a good example.

    --John

Re: Urgent justification for perl

Posted by Jonathan Vanasco <jv...@mastersofbranding.com>.
Justification using perl/mod_perl for what, and opposed to what?
A security risk in what way?

There's a 'Success Stories' page here, that might have some things you
want/need:
http://perl.apache.org/outstanding/index.html

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 07:35, Martin Moss wrote:
> Someone in the powers that be read an outdated
> description and thinks that using perl is a security
> risk - (I know, its not what you use, but how you use
> it thats the security concern).
>
> Any ideas?

man perlsec to start with.  There is plenty of Perl advocacy out there
on various sites if you Google for it.  If you have a specific concern
that isn't covered well elsewhere, let us know what it is.

- Perrin

Re: Urgent justification for perl

Posted by Martin Moss <ma...@btopenworld.com>.
Big thanks to everyone for the links and tips.

Sorry for the ambiguous question, but was just passing
on the ambiguity, to see which way you guys took it,
as I was also annoyed at the ridiculousness of the
question...

Kind regards

Marty

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.