Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Kip Cranford <kc...@advance-inc.com> on 2000/10/05 15:36:44 UTC

Re: redirecting large POSTs

On: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 15:24:27 PDT chris@sportsrocket.com wrote:

>I was thinking about saving the posted data to a temporary file and
>reading it back in after the login succeeds, but this seems messy and
>error-prone. Has anyone else had this problem? Are there any modules
>(maybe session mgmt stuff?) that could be easily adapted to handle this?

Hi Chris,

I have the same problem, but have tried to solve it a bit differently
than everyone else.

I use a simple javascript function to check for the cookie that I
expect.   This function is envoked from an onSubmit handler from each
<form> I have, and if no cookie is found, a secondary login window is
launched.

Since my authentication and authorization handlers are integrated with
mod_perl, if I detect that my cookie is not present, the javascript
function pops up a secondary window containing my login page (the same
one the user would see if they were redirected their from a GET).  The
user can then log in through that window, obtain the appropriate
cookies, then go back to the original page and continue the form
submission.  Since the original page was never actually submitted, no
data was sent, so no data need be stored anywhere.

I did this because in my system, I routinely need to allow file uploads
of 100MB or more.  This is too unwieldy, IMO, to upload, store,
retrieve, etc.  So far, this has worked like a charm.

--kip

Re: redirecting large POSTs

Posted by Drew Taylor <dr...@openair.com>.
Kip Cranford wrote:

> I did this because in my system, I routinely need to allow file uploads
> of 100MB or more.  This is too unwieldy, IMO, to upload, store,
> retrieve, etc.  So far, this has worked like a charm.

Dare I ask what that 100MB consists of? That's a lot of uploaded data...
:-)

--
Drew Taylor
Software Engineer