Posted to dev@sqoop.apache.org by Kathleen Ting <ka...@apache.org> on 2012/06/21 01:25:11 UTC

[DISCUSS] documentation formats

Hi Sqoop Devs -

In regards to implementing a documentation system for Sqoop2 (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SQOOP-492), I am leaning towards
either RST (http://docutils.sourceforge.net/rst.html) or xdoc (
maven.apache.org/doxia/references/xdoc-format.html).

Do you have a preference between RST or xdoc?

Or feel free to propose another documentation format for consideration.

Regards,
Kathleen

Re: [DISCUSS] documentation formats

Posted by Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com>.
the problems with asciidoc (used on flume and sqoop) is that newer versions of asciidoc and different versions on different distros (ubuntu vs centos) didn't render things the same way.

hbase-land uses docbook which cannot really advocate for or against -- it is XML, but at least the format is stable.

if every thing is in maven land now, I agree with using something that the iron fist of maven approves of. :)

Jon

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Jarek Jarcec Cecho <ja...@apache.org>.
No objections on my side Kate, thanks for taking this issue!

Jarcec

Posted by Alexander Lorenz <wg...@gmail.com>.
+1

best,
 Alex

On Aug 24, 2012, at 11:49 PM, Kathleen Ting <ka...@apache.org> wrote:

> Thanks all for the feedback.
>
> Unless there is a strong objection against RST, given its ease-of-use,
> let's implement the documentation format for Sqoop2 on RST.
>
> Regards, Kathleen
>
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 1:39 AM, Arvind Prabhakar <ar...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Apologies for jumping in late on this thread. My personal preference is to
>> use RST, even though I have used xdoc in the past and will be happy to go
>> with it if that is what gets the most support.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Arvind Prabhakar
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 1:36 AM, Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Just note maven xdoc has more features :-).
>>> For screenshot/images you don't have any way to specify width or
>>> height with apt whereas it's possible with xdoc.
>>>
>>> IMHO It depends on doc use case. And with maven it's possible to mix
>>> apt and xdoc.

>>> system. I would just prefer to have plain text files rather than more
>>> complex structures (like the mentioned XML).

>>> based and

>>> towards

>>> consideration.

>>> --