Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/01 00:22:18 UTC

[VOTE] Graduation of DirectMemory as a TLP

The DirectMemory community is ready to graduate and become a full TLP.
 We began incubation in October 2011 and have demonstrated our ability
to function according to the Apache Way.  We've successfully made a
release.  We have begun to grow the community.  We didn't hold a
separate formal vote - it's not a requirement - but the sense of the
community is that we're ready to go[1].

Please VOTE to submit the below resolution to the board for consideration:

[ ] +1 DirectMemory graduates to TLP
[ ] -1 DirectMemory isn't ready, because...

Vote will remain open for 72hrs...

Thanks,
--tim

[1] - http://markmail.org/thread/3j4q7xehzn72dhk4

X. Resolution to establish the Apache DirectMemory Project

       interests of the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's
       purpose to establish a Project Management Committee charged with
       the creation and maintenance of open-source software related a
       second level, off-heap, cache able to store large amounts of
data without filling
       up the Java heap and thus avoiding long garbage collection cycles.

       Committee (PMC), to be known as the "The Apache DirectMemory Project",
       Foundation; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that The Apache DirectMemory Project be and hereby is
       responsible for the creation and maintenance of a software
       project related to a second level off-heap cache; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, DirectMemory" be and
       hereby is created, the person holding such office to serve at the
       direction of the Board of Directors as the chair of The Apache
       DirectMemory Project, and to have primary responsibility for
       management of the projects within the scope of responsibility of
       The Apache DirectMemory Project; and be it further

       hereby are appointed to serve as the initial members of The
       Apache DirectMemory Project:

         * Ioannic Canellos (iocanel)
         * Maurizio Cucchiara (mcucchiara)
         * Christian Grobmeier (grobmeier)
         * Olivier Lamy (olamy)
         * Raffaele P. Guidi (raffaeleguidi)
         * Simone Gianni (simoneg)
         * Simone Tripodi (simonetripodi)
         * Tommaso Teofill (tommaso)
         * Benoit Perroud (bperroud)

       NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Raffaele P.
       Guidi be and hereby is appointed to the office of Vice
       President, DirectMemory, to serve in accordance with and subject to
       the direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the
       Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal or
       disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it
       further

       RESOLVED, that the initial Apache DirectMemory Project be and hereby
       Incubator DirectMemory podling; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that all responsibility pertaining to the Apache
       Incubator DirectMemory podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator
       PMC are hereafter discharged.

Re: [VOTE] Graduation of DirectMemory as a TLP

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
+1

Dan

On Tuesday, July 31, 2012 06:22:18 PM Tim Williams wrote:
> [...]
>          * Raffaele P. Guidi (raffaeleguidi)
>          * Simone Gianni (simoneg)
>          * Simone Tripodi (simonetripodi)
>          * Tommaso Teofill (tommaso)
>          * Benoit Perroud (bperroud)
>
>        NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Raffaele P.
>        Guidi be and hereby is appointed to the office of Vice
>        President, DirectMemory, to serve in accordance with and subject to
> the direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation
> until death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification, or
> until a successor is appointed; and be it further
>
>        RESOLVED, that the initial Apache DirectMemory Project be and
> hereby is tasked with the migration and rationalization of the Apache
> Incubator DirectMemory podling; and be it further
>
>        RESOLVED, that all responsibility pertaining to the Apache
>        Incubator DirectMemory podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator

Daniel Kulp

Re: [VOTE] Graduation of DirectMemory as a TLP

Posted by Benoit Perroud <be...@noisette.ch>.
+1 as well.

But we'll need to work on the road map.

--
sent from my Nokia 3210

Re: [VOTE] Graduation of DirectMemory as a TLP

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Gaurav Sharma <ga...@gmail.com>.
+1

Regards,
gaurav

Posted by Gaurav Sharma <ga...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by "Raffaele P. Guidi" <ra...@gmail.com>.
My +1 as well.

Posted by "Raffaele P. Guidi" <ra...@gmail.com>.
My +1 as well.

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Hope am not too late

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> [...]
>>          * Simone Gianni (simoneg)
>>          * Simone Tripodi (simonetripodi)
>>          * Tommaso Teofill (tommaso)
>>          * Benoit Perroud (bperroud)
>>
>>        NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Raffaele P.
>>        Guidi be and hereby is appointed to the office of Vice
>>        President, DirectMemory, to serve in accordance with and subject to
>>        the direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the
>>        Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal or
>>        disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it
>>        further
>>
>>        RESOLVED, that the initial Apache DirectMemory Project be and hereby
>>        is tasked with the migration and rationalization of the Apache
>>        Incubator DirectMemory podling; and be it further
>>
>>        RESOLVED, that all responsibility pertaining to the Apache
>>        Incubator DirectMemory podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator

thanks
ashish

Blog: http://www.ashishpaliwal.com/blog

Re: [VOTE] Graduation of DirectMemory as a TLP

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
+1

http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
http://www.99soft.org/

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Maurizio Cucchiara <mc...@apache.org>.
Well done guys,
here's my +1
hoping to be more useful in the near future (sorry :( ) .

Twitter     :http://www.twitter.com/m_cucchiara
G+          :https://plus.google.com/107903711540963855921
Linkedin    :http://www.linkedin.com/in/mauriziocucchiara

Maurizio Cucchiara

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
+1

Tommaso

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 7:57 AM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> That's a pretty tight definition of scope. How about just "off-heap
>> cache for the Java platform"? That should be specific enough to
>> differentiate DirectMemory from other similar projects, and generic
>> enough to better allow evolution of your architecture and key use
>> cases down the line.
>
> Sounds good, hopefully such a small change wouldn't require revoting?

Only if someone explicitly disagrees. Otherwise you can assume lazy
consensus on the change.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: [VOTE] Graduation of DirectMemory as a TLP

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Raffaele P. Guidi" <ra...@gmail.com>.
-- ... that's totally orthogonal with the graduation discussion...

I'm absolutely aware of this and my answer is orthogonal as well - it is
not to be taken as a self promotional rant, I too share some of the arisen
concerns and will try to address them. But thanks for pointing it out (and
for your vote as well).

Ciao,

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Some documentation on how to get started would really help.

It would be good for enterprise dev managers. It would help people like me decide if they want their team to evaluate DM.

Thanks,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by "Raffaele P. Guidi" <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Manzke <da...@googlemail.com>.
Hey Christian,

your mail and the other responses are showing to me that it was understood,
what I wanted to express. This leads me to switch my -1 to a +1.
I like the project and I'll see how I can help.

Best Regards,
Daniel

--
Viele Grüße/Best Regards

Daniel Manzke

Re: [VOTE] Graduation of DirectMemory as a TLP

Posted by Daniel Manzke <da...@googlemail.com>.
Hey Christian,

--
Viele Grüße/Best Regards

Daniel Manzke

Re: [VOTE] Graduation of DirectMemory as a TLP

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hello Daniel,

--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: [VOTE] Graduation of DirectMemory as a TLP

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hello Daniel,

--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: [VOTE] Graduation of DirectMemory as a TLP

Posted by "Raffaele P. Guidi" <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Manzke <da...@googlemail.com>.
Hey guys,

--
Viele Grüße/Best Regards

Daniel Manzke

Re: [VOTE] Graduation of DirectMemory as a TLP

Posted by Daniel Manzke <da...@googlemail.com>.
Hey guys,

--
Viele Grüße/Best Regards

Daniel Manzke

Re: [VOTE] Graduation of DirectMemory as a TLP

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
+1 (ipmc)

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
+1 (ipmc)

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.
With the following votes, this vote passes.  I'll submit a suggested
resolution to the board shortly.  Thanks everyone who voted and
supported the DirectMemory community through their incubation...

+1's Binding:
- Tim Williams
-  Olivier Lamy
- Jean-Baptiste Onofre