Posted to user@cayenne.apache.org by Demetrios Kyriakis <de...@gmail.com> on 2008/11/15 18:00:53 UTC

Include modeler.bat back in the distribution?

Please put the modeler.bat back in the 3.x distribution.
It was present in 1.2.x series(together with a cayenne icon to associate
to) and this was very practical.

Now there's only a CayenneModeler.exe, but it seems to have problems
under Vista: every time it's started, it changes the Vista theme to
Basic :(. Vista reports that it's incompatible with it's Aero theme.
This behavior is very annoying :(.

This is however not a Java issue. Running the modeler with:
java -jar CayenneModeler.jar
won't chage the Vista theme.

Thank you,

Demetrios.

Re: Include modeler.bat back in the distribution?

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
(forwarding to user@ list)

Posted by Andrey Razumovsky <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrey Razumovsky <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Posted by Andrey Razumovsky <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Posted by Andrey Razumovsky <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Let's take this to the dev list.

Andrey, are you saying that neither "java -jar CayenneModeler.jar" nor
starting CayenneModeler from Eclipse via the Main class work? What
error are you getting?

Andrus

Posted by Andrey Razumovsky <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Zeigler <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@ish.com.au>.

Posted by Demetrios Kyriakis <de...@gmail.com>.
> and you can write you own .bat
> for your own use. It should be as simple as "java -jar
> CayenneModeler.jar". See no point for us to include a .bat
I already did this and now I have tons of files that I need to copy
with me(and adapt them) all the time for the various computers when I
make updates to various tools (since version 3, Cayenne is now one of
those too - I just wish the *.bat were there in the distribution).

> (I do have Vista BTW on one of the laptops)
If you put another exe somewhere, I can test that right away too.

OT:
I would have re-built it myself (to see if the result is the same), but
this Maven stuff is just not working like ANT for me (the IDE's are of
not help like in the case of ANT) and I really don't think is fair to
loose 95% of my free time with Maven(as always) instead of the
project(Cayenne in this case) itself.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
How about this: We test things on Vista and see what we can do to make
the exe work (appreciate a Jira on that), and you can write you
own .bat for your own use. It should be as simple as "java -jar
CayenneModeler.jar". See no point for us to include a .bat unless we
confirm that our .exe generation mechanism can't be fixed for Vista.

Posted by Demetrios Kyriakis <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Gentry <bl...@gmail.com>.
That's ... interesting.  I don't have access to Vista to test this.
Another option for you would be to download the Linux/cross-platform
version and run just as you mentioned.

/dev/mrg