Posted to nmaven-dev@incubator.apache.org by ca...@aol.com on 2008/04/29 18:28:21 UTC

Graduation?

Hi Shane,

I'm trying to implement NMaven within my company, and there are concerns that NMaven is still an incubator project.? What are the remaining barriers for graduation from the incubator, and is there an estimated timeline?? How can we help?

Thanks,
Caulene

Re: Graduation?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 01/05/2008, at 11:52 AM, Evan Worley wrote:

> I was not clear as to what Wendy was referring to.  She might have
> seen
> something in the stack trace that triggered that comment about the
> embedder,
> it was unclear to me.

Ah, I see - I was thrown by your switching to 2.1-SNAPSHOT, thinking
that was only necessary for the embedder, but it seems some of the
tests depend on a certain version of maven-artifact also (which is the
wagon manager interface that the stub tests).

We should set the versions to 2.0.8 or 2.0.9 and probably rollback
changes to this stub that are dependant on 2.1 - as Wendy said the
embedded version of 2.1 that was required for the VS integration
shouldn't be required based on the previous list discussion. Anyone
able to give that a shot?

I haven't tried building it recently, but when I did I was using a set
of binaries of Maven built from trunk around July last year. I can
contrib either the binaries or the SVN rev it was built from, but
probably better to get it back to 2.0.x anyway.

Cheers,
Brett

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org

Re: Graduation?

Posted by Evan Worley <ev...@gmail.com>.
I was not clear as to what Wendy was referring to.  She might have seen
something in the stack trace that triggered that comment about the embedder,
it was unclear to me.

Who can build the 0.14 branch?  Or is it broken for everyone?

-Evan

Re: Graduation?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: Graduation?

Posted by Evan Worley <ev...@gmail.com>.
Hi Brett,

I emailed the mailing list a week or two ago asking about building 0.14.  I

Re: Graduation?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 30/04/2008, at 10:08 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

>> We really need to push this along if you're going to be busy with
>> your day job and Evan with his insane bike ride for the next month :)
>>

> Why do we "really need to push this along" ? Graduation happens as a
> natural consequence of competent developers with a passion for
> working on NMaven getting involved and that just takes time. I think
> pushing it along unnaturally is categorically the wrong thing to do.

I only meant pushing along the things that allow others to contribute
with less guidance. Obviously pushing graduation unnaturally is a bad
idea.

>> My thought is that there is no real way "in" for someone just
>> wanting to contribute
>
> Though that would help that's certainly not true in the case of Evan
> and Zak who made their way through the code and started
> contributing. Certainly we can work on the roadmap, I agree it
> should be sorted a little better.

Right, it was just my opinion... I visited the site and thought "if I
wanted to contribute, here could I get started?", and didn't find
anything to guide me. Not everyone is like that, but I think every bit
helps.

>> Graduation is really dependant on being able to gain users, and
>> having a path to convert them to developers, IMO.
>
> And this just takes time. The CXF project is a great example of
> building a project up the right way and it took about two years for
> it to get out of the incubator. It doesn't mean that people can't
> use it. I know that from Sonatype's perspective we have clients
> using NMaven and we're providing support for them with the code in
> the incubator and they are fine with that. Obviously they would like
> it out of the incubator but the community needs to grow naturally
> and there needs to be several people who have intrinsic knowledge
> about NMaven before it can leave the incubator.

Well said, I couldn't agree more :)

Cheers,
Brett

Re: Graduation?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 30-Apr-08, at 1:19 AM, Brett Porter wrote:

> Shane,
>
> Just a bit confused about which are the graduation items and which
> are the new development ones, in your mind :)
>
> There are elements here that are on the right track - unifying the
> users around one codebase is a necessity to growth, for sure. The
> questions I'd be asking is:
> - how can we support this process?
> - for those that are interested in helping to migrate functionality,
> where should they start?
>
> We really need to push this along if you're going to be busy with
> your day job and Evan with his insane bike ride for the next month :)

Why do we "really need to push this along" ? Graduation happens as a
natural consequence of competent developers with a passion for working
on NMaven getting involved and that just takes time. I think pushing
it along unnaturally is categorically the wrong thing to do.

> My thought is that there is no real way "in" for someone just
> wanting to contribute

Though that would help that's certainly not true in the case of Evan
and Zak who made their way through the code and started contributing.
Certainly we can work on the roadmap, I agree it should be sorted a
little better.

> - navigating briefly from the website I couldn't find the roadmap
> for 0.16, pointers to what we need help with, and JIRA is just a
> whole bucket of unscheduled, so maybe we could look at that?
>
> Hearing "we will get it all sorted out" is one of those warning
> signs that I hear that you may be taking it on yourself too much -
> so let's see who else can help out!

Evan did a great job of helping out after demonstrating a real
understanding of the codebase and has done a great deal to help Shane.

> [...]

>> have submitted patches. Thanks for that. We will get it all sorted
>> out.
>>
>> Shane
>>

>> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 4:04 PM, <ca...@aol.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Evan,
>>>
>>> We definitely require full IDE integration for Visual Studio, as
>>> well as
>>> solution generation, pom generation from an existing solution
>>> file, and
>>> support for signed assemblies.?Generation of the XML docs is
>>> another feature
>>> we'd love to see.?
>>> The developer community that I'm trying to support doesn't want to
>>> leave
>>> the IDE if at all possible, but we would love to pull them into the
>>> Maven-based environment that we currently use for Java builds.
>>>
>>> Shane - thanks for the update.? Keep that whip cracking! ;-)

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

We all have problems. How we deal with them is a measure of our worth.

-- Unknown

Re: Graduation?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Shane,

Just a bit confused about which are the graduation items and which are
the new development ones, in your mind :)

There are elements here that are on the right track - unifying the
users around one codebase is a necessity to growth, for sure. The
questions I'd be asking is:
- how can we support this process?
- for those that are interested in helping to migrate functionality,
where should they start?

We really need to push this along if you're going to be busy with your
day job and Evan with his insane bike ride for the next month :)

My thought is that there is no real way "in" for someone just wanting
to contribute - navigating briefly from the website I couldn't find

Re: sandcastle was: Graduation?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Yeah, I've been following that over the last week.

It seems like a bit of a knee jerk initially, but let's hope that the
result is it being submitted under an OSI-compliant license, as it
might mean we can use it more extensively than would have been
permitted previously.

Cheers,
Brett

Re: Graduation?

Posted by Evan Worley <ev...@gmail.com>.
This may be on hold,

Re: Graduation?

Posted by Evan Worley <ev...@gmail.com>.

Re: Graduation?

Posted by Evan Worley <ev...@gmail.com>.
Jason, thanks for all the kind words (though I'm not sure I deserve them).

Zak and my path was pretty straight forward.  Our team was building some
components in both java and .net.  We were using Maven to build our java
components and NMaven for .net.  At the time NMaven did not fully support
resolving SNAPSHOT dependencies, which was a requirement for us in order to
have a homogeneous java/.net build.  So Zak and I grabbed the NMaven and
Maven source, came up to speed, and added a few lines of code in NMaven to
enable SNAPSHOT resolution for .NET artifacts.  During our investigation, we
built rapport with Shane, who helped us with any questions we ran into.
Eventually we submitted that patch against a JIRA, and the rest was
history.  We followed all the protocol we could find, such as mailing list
communication, applying the patch to a JIRA, etc.

My 2 cents,
Evan

Re: Graduation?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Re: Graduation?

Posted by Leopoldo Agdeppa <la...@exist.com>.
I love to volunteer for this

Re: Graduation?

Posted by Shane Isbell <sh...@gmail.com>.
It sounds as though we need to start getting people off of 0.14 and this
means moving the Visual Studio work into trunk. I checked Sandcastle and it
looks as though Microsoft finally put it under open-source, so that's one
area we can tackle for API doc generation. Any volunteers for  Sandcastle
plugin?

We also have toolchains as of Maven 2.0.9. I added the NMaven support for
toolchains into the trunk, but there still is a fair amount we need to do to
fully leverage it.  I've got some Maven related work and then am scheduled
for the .NET support for Nexus. After that, I'll be jumping into NMaven a
lot more. I think Evan is doing likewise, after he does his insane San
Francisco to LA bicycle ride next month (assuming he survives). So next
month, I expect we will have a lot more activity and start trying to build
the community and hopefully get in more committers. I know a lot of people
have submitted patches. Thanks for that. We will get it all sorted out.

Shane

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 4:04 PM, <ca...@aol.com> wrote:

> Hi Evan,
>
> We definitely require full IDE integration for Visual Studio, as well as
> solution generation, pom generation from an existing solution file, and
> support for signed assemblies.?Generation of the XML docs is another feature
> we'd love to see.?
> The developer community that I'm trying to support doesn't want to leave
> the IDE if at all possible, but we would love to pull them into the
> Maven-based environment that we currently use for Java builds.
>
> Shane - thanks for the update.? Keep that whip cracking! ;-)
>
> -- Caulene

Re: Graduation?

Posted by ca...@aol.com.

Re: Graduation?