Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Jim Gellman <jg...@systemsbiology.org> on 2008/01/31 20:45:42 UTC

Test failures -- could I have imagined these?

Well, the unit tests failures that I was seeing seem to have fixed
themselves with no code changes or significant changes to my
whatsoever.  Has anyone else on this list ever seen this:

> Failed tests:
>
> testOrderByAscending(org.apache.jackrabbit.test.api.query.SQLOrderByTest)
>
> testOrderByDescending(org.apache.jackrabbit.test.api.query.SQLOrderByTest)
>
>   testOrderByDefault(org.apache.jackrabbit.test.api.query.SQLOrderByTest)
>
> testDocOrderIndexedNotation(org.apache.jackrabbit.test.api.query.XPathPosIndexTest)
>

> testDocOrderPositionFunction(org.apache.jackrabbit.test.api.query.XPathDocOrderTest)
>

> testDocOrderPositionIndex(org.apache.jackrabbit.test.api.query.XPathDocOrderTest)
>

> testDocOrderLastFunction(org.apache.jackrabbit.test.api.query.XPathDocOrderTest)
>

> testDocOrderFirstFunction(org.apache.jackrabbit.test.api.query.XPathDocOrderTest)
>

> testOrderByAscending(org.apache.jackrabbit.test.api.query.XPathOrderByTest)
>

> testOrderByDescending(org.apache.jackrabbit.test.api.query.XPathOrderByTest)
>
>   testOrderBy(org.apache.jackrabbit.test.api.query.XPathOrderByTest)

This is on Mac OS 10.5.1, and like I said, I got those errors for a
couple of days and today they are gone.  Just for kicks I removed the
directory and recreated a source tree from the 1.4 jarfile I'd
downloaded a few days ago, and all tests succeeded.

Can anyone think of anything that would be the cause of such an
intermittent failure?

Jim

Re: Test failures -- could I have imagined these?

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Feb 1, 2008 1:08 PM, Jim_Cross <ji...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I've seen similar - I tried to build from both the 1.4 tag and the trunk, and
> in both cases I got various test errors, which seemed to change each time I
> ran the build...with no code changes in between!

There's apparently some synchronization issues in the SPI components
that cause random test failures. The issue is discussed in the known
issue http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-1293, and we disabled
some of the tests for the 1.4 release to avoid breaking the build for
users.

As far as I know the official 1.4 source release should build without
problems, but trunk and earlier versions of the 1.4 branch have the
troublesome tests enabled in hope of getting them fixed.

PS. If you're building and using stuff directly from svn, then dev@ is
probably a more appropriate forum. This mailing list is for issues and
usage of the official Jackrabbit releases.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Test failures -- could I have imagined these?

Posted by Jim_Cross <ji...@googlemail.com>.