Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Issac Goldstand <ma...@beamartyr.net> on 2008/02/10 01:21:42 UTC

ping on mod_dns

Any volunteers to import mod_dns so I can eventually start hacking at it
again (topic came up at work recently and I have a couple of feature
ideas that I'd like to work on, but really don't want to have to work in
my old svn + port changes to asf svn too)?

AFAIK, we finished with the red tape already (please tell me off-list if
I'm wrong)

  Issac

Re: ping on mod_dns

Posted by Issac Goldstand <ma...@beamartyr.net>.

Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> On Feb 9, 2008, at 4:21 PM, Issac Goldstand wrote:
>
>> Any volunteers to import mod_dns so I can eventually start hacking at it
>> again (topic came up at work recently and I have a couple of feature
>> ideas that I'd like to work on, but really don't want to have to work in
>> my old svn + port changes to asf svn too)?
>>
>> AFAIK, we finished with the red tape already (please tell me off-list if
>> I'm wrong)
>
> Actually, I'd rather do that on-list so that more people know what is
> required.  We already had the proposal and enough +1 votes to add
> mod_dns as a subproject.
>
>   http://markmail.org/message/juhrpyxq635mhy6n
>
> The next question is about the intellectual property.  I note that
> there is already an open source product called mod_dns:
>
>   http://freshmeat.net/projects/mod_dns/
>
> Is that the same code, or entirely different?

Something else (not our code)

   Issac

Re: ping on mod_dns

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Feb 18, 2008, at 3:39 PM, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On Feb 18, 2008 2:49 PM, Jorge Schrauwen
> <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> true but like Roy said if mod_dns is allready in use a new name will
>> need to be found no?
>
> The mod_dns listed on Freshmeat looks like it was lasted changed in
> 2001 and was only for 1.3.  We could drop a line to the guy and see if
> he minds us using the name for our module.  If he replies that's it's
> okay, I'd like to see us use mod_dns.  But, if he doesn't reply or
> says no, then we should find another name...  -- justin

Why bother?  The presence of mod_dns, already performing a different
purpose, makes confusion of users likely.  The name mod_named more
accurately reflects what this new module is supposed to do, and its
only use was in a discussion by Eli Marmor about this contribution.
Let's take the easy road.

....Roy

Re: ping on mod_dns

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Re: ping on mod_dns

Posted by Colm MacCarthaigh <co...@allcosts.net>.
On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 09:30:30AM -0500, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> I propose mod_domain.... to match the IANA port number
> assignment.

+1, especially since that way we don't have to listen to Paul Vixie ;)

Re: ping on mod_dns

Posted by Issac Goldstand <ma...@beamartyr.net>.
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Mads Toftum wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 09:30:30AM -0500, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>>> I propose mod_domain.... to match the IANA port number
>>> assignment.
>>>
>> Seems more confusing than mod_named.
>
> I didn't care for mod_named (we haven't been suffixing the 'd'aemon
> most of the time), was actually thinking of mod_cname or similar, but
> mod_domain looks suitably unique and descriptive.
>
> +1 to mod_domain from me.
Fair warning to everyone (just FYI while we're talking about the name):
The module is itself modular, with only "core" DNS recordtypes built-in
- at the moment, that's A, CNAME and MX and will probably include at
least SOA and NS too before a version 1 is released.  So we're
potentially going to see modules like mod_domain_mx and mod_domain_txt
or mod_domain_msad (for active directory extensions), etc.

Also, do we want to change the internals to start using the new name or
not - most notably the public bits of the API that are there to allow
extensibility, like DNS_DECLARE(type), DNS_DECLARE_NONSTD(type) and
DNS_DECLARE_DATA macros, etc?

  Issac

  Issac

Re: ping on mod_dns

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Re: ping on mod_dns

Posted by Mads Toftum <ma...@toftum.dk>.
On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 09:30:30AM -0500, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> I propose mod_domain.... to match the IANA port number
> assignment.

Seems more confusing than mod_named.

vh

Mads Toftum
--
http://soulfood.dk

Re: ping on mod_dns

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Re: ping on mod_dns

Posted by Jorge Schrauwen <jo...@gmail.com>.

--
~Jorge

Re: ping on mod_dns

Posted by Issac Goldstand <ma...@beamartyr.net>.

Re: ping on mod_dns

Posted by Jorge Schrauwen <jo...@gmail.com>.

--
~Jorge

Re: ping on mod_dns

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.

Re: ping on mod_dns

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.

Re: ping on mod_dns

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.
On 10.02.2008, at 14:16, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2008, at 1:21 AM, Issac Goldstand wrote:
>
>> Any volunteers to import mod_dns so I can eventually start hacking
>> at it
>> again (topic came up at work recently and I have a couple of feature
>> ideas that I'd like to work on, but really don't want to have to
>> work in
>> my old svn + port changes to asf svn too)?
>
> I'd be quite interested to see this go in as 'experimental' or
> similar.

Same here, I'd be interested in that as well - of course for now only
as experimental.

Cheers,
Erik

Re: ping on mod_dns

Posted by Jorge Schrauwen <jo...@gmail.com>.
Me too, If this gets in experimental I'll probably give it a try
sounds really interesting

--
~Jorge

Re: ping on mod_dns