Posted to dev@lucenenet.apache.org by Prescott Nasser <ge...@hotmail.com> on 2011/02/13 23:12:09 UTC

Sharpen setup

Hey all,

I'm looking for some help setting up sharpen. I haven't done java development in probably close to 8 years and my tooling knowledge is incredibly out of date.

I grabbed Eclipse IDE for Java Developers (Version: Helios Service Release 1
Build id: 20100917-0705) and was looking at documentation for sharpen (http://developer.db4o.com/Documentation/Reference/db4o-7.12/java/reference/html/Content/sharpen/how_to_setup_sharpen.html) and (http://developer.db4o.com/Blogs/Product/tabid/167/entryid/95/Default.aspx).

Following the first link, I pulled down the latest sharpen from their repository, and then imported the project. It then says to export as a Plug-in - but I don't have that option. Also, eclipse is giving me errors about org.eclipse not being found.

Following the second link, it says to add a new project -> from CVS. However, ecplise won't even retrieve the packages from their repo. I've tried all the options (ext, extssh, pserver, pserverssh) and I get login errors from the later 3, an a general ext error when selecting that option.

Does anyone have experience setting this up?

~Prescott

RE: Sharpen setup

Posted by Prescott Nasser <ge...@hotmail.com>.

Thanks Alex - that was extremely helpful to get me started.

~P

RE: Sharpen setup

Posted by Alex Thompson <pi...@hotmail.com>.
I'm using Eclipse 3.4.2 (ganymede-SR2) for Java EE. You need a Java EE
edition to build plugins. I haven't tried the Helios versions.

The repository is SVN not CVS so you need an SVN plugin (regular windows
TortoiseSVN had some problems). I use Subclipse http://subclipse.tigris.org/
and that gives you the option new project -> from SVN

Then you can export as a Plug-in and put the resulting jars in the /plugins
folder under eclipse.

Next you checkout a version of java lucene (again with subclipse) and you
will need to setup the .project and .classpath files correctly. Here is a
copy of mine for reference:
.project
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<projectDescription>
	<name>lucene_3_0_3</name>
	<comment></comment>
	<projects>
	</projects>
	<buildSpec>
		<buildCommand>
			<name>org.eclipse.jdt.core.javabuilder</name>
			<arguments>
			</arguments>
		</buildCommand>
		<buildCommand>
			<name>sharpen.builder.sharpenBuilder</name>
			<arguments>
			</arguments>
		</buildCommand>
	</buildSpec>
	<natures>
		<nature>org.eclipse.jdt.core.javanature</nature>
		<nature>sharpen.builder.sharpenNature</nature>
	</natures>
</projectDescription>

.classpath
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<classpath>
	<classpathentry kind="src" path="src/java"/>
	<classpathentry kind="src" path="src/demo"/>
	<classpathentry kind="src" path="src/test"/>
	<classpathentry kind="con"
path="org.eclipse.jdt.launching.JRE_CONTAINER"/>
	<classpathentry kind="lib" path="lib/junit-3.8.2.jar"/>
	<classpathentry kind="lib" path="lib/servlet-api-2.4.jar"/>
	<classpathentry kind="output" path="bin"/>
</classpath>