Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/25 09:48:26 UTC

SDO RC5a Review

Hi Kelvin,

Sorry could not get to this any earlier than this.... here is what I did and
found...

1) Extracted tuscany-sdo-api-1.0-incubator-M2-src.zip and extracted into a
SDO_API dir.
   - License.txt has a reference to Service Component Architecture at line
233 - just bringing it up just in case it was a slip otherwise please ignore
   - Notice.txt mentions using software developed by osoa and that the
license for that is in the License.txt.  But the License.txt has nothing
specific to this (maybe I am missing something here or maybe this is
actually not required)
   - Status.txt (typo on line 36 C+ = C++)
   - Successfully built the source

2) Extracted tuscany-sdo-impl-1.0-incubator-M2-src.zip and extracted into a
SDO_API dir.
   - License.txt, Notice.txt, Status.txt - same observations as above.
   - Building.txt - I have put in comments and attactched that file here.
My comments are enclosed in "<<svkrish : .....>>"

3) Moved into sdo/sample and built the sdo/sample successfully.

4) Unable to build the distribution due to ...
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]

Project ID: woodstox:wstx-asl
Reason: Error getting POM for 'woodstox:wstx-asl' from the repository: Error
tra
nsferring file
  woodstox:wstx-asl:pom:3.0.1

5) When I tried building the distribution offline I ended up with
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.

GroupId: org.apache.maven.plugins
ArtifactId: maven-javadoc-plugin
Version: 2.1-20061005.000031-3

Reason: System is offline.

Then, install it using the command:
    mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=org.apache.maven.plugins-DartifactId=mav
en-javadoc-plugin \
        -Dversion=2.1-20061005.000031-3 -Dpackaging=maven-plugin
-Dfile=/path/to
/file

org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-javadoc-plugin:maven-plugin:2.1-20061005.0000313

I will try to give this a few more tries later in the evening.

Thanks

- Venkat

Re: SDO RC5a Review

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@gmail.com>.
Rick,
  yes the source distro should include the samples,  since you should be
able to rebuild all distros from the source distro.  So the source distros
give instructions on how to be able to rebuild the binary and samples distro
from the source distros.  The site/apidocs is not a brilliant name for the
location of the javadoc I agree,  but it is the way  the maven javadoc
plugin works,  and I could not see how to alter that.  I decided that whilst
it was not ideal,  it was cosmetic and bearable,  and I would hope to make
it better by a next release.
Regards, Kelvin.

Re: SDO RC5a Review

Posted by Rick <cr...@gmail.com>.

Re: SDO RC5a Review

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@thegoodsons.org.uk>.
Sorry Venkat,  I'm just looking at the other things now and will post back
findings.

Re: SDO RC5a Review

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.
Yes... I got that. :) Just wanted to let you know that I tried this.  What's
your opinion on the other things that I pointed out...  did I go overboard ?
:)

Re: SDO RC5a Review

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@gmail.com>.
Venkat,

Re: SDO RC5a Review

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hi Venkat
  thanks for these catches.  I've looked at them all in detail,  and indeed
there is a small amount of redundant text in the notices file,  but the
licenses file contain the appropriate licenses.  I plan to fix this in the
trunk, and let the release stand,  unless anyone demands otherwise.  As to
your comments in the building.txt file there are some useful comments in
there that again I will take note of post M2.  I have added comments to your
comments which I attach.  The main point I would say is that the
instructions in BUILDING.txt are what is required to build the binary
distribution and the samples distribution.  If you have this in mind,
rather than getting to the point where you have just built binary
artifacts,  or are able to run the samples,  then the instructions should
seem clearer.  this is why the instructions do not take you through running
the samples,  since you will have buildt a samples distribution which does
have the instructions of how to run the samples.

Best Regards, Kelvin.