Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jacob Hookom <ho...@uwec.edu> on 2002/08/19 18:58:48 UTC

Realm Authentication Across Multiple Servers

The application we are working on is laid out on the network like so (*
means many):

Apache2
<jk2_mod>
Tomcat4 Web Site Servers*
<internal network mapping>
Tomcat4 File Servers*

Basically the application acts much like sourceforge or another download
site, but I would like to carry authentication from the Web site server
to the request made to the File Servers.

Is this possible?  I did think about a way of creating a timed/digested
certificate that could be passed in the request string, but it would be
ideal to have the Principal be used on all servers.

The user roles for the Web site servers are pulled from a DB, but I have
heard that these servers can share a JNDI context, so couldn't
information be put in there?

Any advice would be appreciated as I'm working in rational rose this
afternoon trying to lay things out :-)

-Jacob

---