Posted to dev@fineract.apache.org by Francis Guchie <fr...@gmail.com> on 2022/02/12 19:41:08 UTC

Re: [Mifos-developer] Charge on a Fee

Dear Zayad,

This is a non standard fee on loans. In my experience, I have seen clients
levying such fees and later being stopped by their regulators. It would
save you a lot of burden to find out if the law of the LAW allows them to
do so. I recall one time in one southern African country where they were
compounding interest on loans. These companies have long been closed by the
Authorities because such acts create credit crunches and they hike the
inflation rates of Countries. IMHO

Read the stories below about Ghana in 2018 & 2019. Sometimes we just need
to advise clients about standard operating procedures of the financial
industry.
https://www.centralbanking.com/central-banks/financial-stability/4241121/ghana-closes-72-of-its-microfinance-firms

https://citinewsroom.com/2018/08/bog-merges-unibank-beige-and-3-other-struggling-banks/

My Kind Regards

Francis Guchie Kirago
*Skype:* francisguchie
*Telegram: *232 79 19 44 07
*Whatsapp: *232 79 19 44 07
*LINKEDIN:* https://www.linkedin.com/in/francis-guchie-kirago-a4379617/
twitter: @FrancisGuchie

On Fri, Feb 11, 2022 at 10:36 PM <za...@intrasofttechnologies.com> wrote:

> Devs,
>

> We have a request from couple of our clients whose business processes
> requires this feature.
>

> The request is they need to charge an interest on principal + fee charge
> OR have a fee with charge calculation type % Loan Amount + Charges which
> currently doesn’t exist in Mifos X.
>

> For example:
>

> Principal – 100,000
>
> Margin Fee – 25,000
>
> *Total Loan – 125,000/=*
>
> *Interest – 5% of 125,000 = 6,250/=*
>

> I have checked versions 17, 18, and also 21 and can’t find the solution.
> This probably needs to be added as an enhancement, was wondering if anyone
> has developed such a functionality or if there is a workaround to be able
> to achieve the same currently?
>

> Thanks & Regards;
>
> *********
>
> *Zayyad A. Said | Chairman & C.E.O*
>
> Cell No.: +254 716 615274 | Skype: *zsaid2011*
>
> Email: zayyad@intrasofttechnologies.com
>
> Schedule Meetings: https://calendly.com/zayyadsaid
>

> Mifos-developer mailing list
> mifos-developer@lists.sourceforge.net
> Unsubscribe or change settings at:

RE: [Mifos-developer] Charge on a Fee

Posted by si...@skyburgsystems.org.
I’m with Zayyad on this. I’m sure that charging (fees applied in Installments) on (fees charged on disbursement) and also charging interest on (fees + loan) differs from compounding interest on interest. It is good that Fees and interest are clearly defined in MifosX and fees in some countries is counted as income not necessarily and it is allowed. World bank policies don’t seem to be admonish this either. However Laws differ from country to country and of late 90% of the MFIs we come across request this service.

The only issue we have found in developing such a feature is instructing the system which fee can have another fee charged to it, as it may become recursive. The solution to such may be a bit tasking.

We deliberately have stayed away from enabling such designs in credit products on Mifos. Let’s keep it that way.

*******

Zayyad A. Said | Chairman & C.E.O

Cell No.: +254 716 615274 | Skype: zsaid2011

Email:  <ma...@intrasofttechnologies.com> zayyad@intrasofttechnologies.com

Schedule Meetings:  <https://calendly.com/zayyadsaid> https://calendly.com/zayyadsaid

Mifos-developer mailing list
mifos-developer@lists.sourceforge.net <ma...@lists.sourceforge.net>
Unsubscribe or change settings at:

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Re: [Mifos-developer] Charge on a Fee

Posted by Anu Omotayo <an...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hello Zayyad,
I think your requirements can be handled at the reporting level
Principal – 100,000
Margin Fee – 25,000
Total Loan/principal – 125,000/=
Interest – 5% of 125,000 = 6,250/=
Fineract will generate the schedule and track both principal and interest repayment. You can then use a report to break the principal repayment element down (80% = 100,000 and 20% = 25,000) for the agents.
We have a similar use case whereby our interest element is split among several beneficiaries. We plan to implement it using this reporting approach based on the repayment schedule. We are also looking at stretching it further i.e. raising the slit accounting entries to the respective beneficiary accounts.

Regards
Anu Omotayo
Mobile Number: 234.803.947.4809

    On Tuesday, February 15, 2022, 09:24:02 PM GMT+1, zayyad@intrasofttechnologies.com <za...@intrasofttechnologies.com> wrote:

Hello Francis,

While you are saying is true, we should also not be rigid in understanding clients business requirements. The requests we have received are very much genuine and it’s important for them to be able to track margin and interest for each loan due to internal reporting requirements and incentivizing their agents. Combining purchase price with margin as principal will not help them track that properly.

We have received same request from clients operating in Kenya as well as Tanzania and that’s why I raised it here as it seemed to be a requirement that is gaining increased interest from our users.

Since the community doesn’t see the importance of having that requirement implemented, we shall look for a possibility to an inhouse enhancement to be able to meet the needs of our clients.

Should anyone be interested in such a feature then we can have a further discussion on the same.

Best Regards;

*******

Posted by Francis Guchie <fr...@gmail.com>.
Dear Zayyad,

I do understand your point of view. I am only sharing my experience.
Nevertheless, I am ready to support, especially in testing in case the
community votes. I will go with the majority

Posted by za...@intrasofttechnologies.com.

Nevertheless, like @sifiso@skyburgsystems.org <ma...@skyburgsystems.org>   said, this can be done but will create more issues (one of them is how to handle a reversal / deletion). Given that we all want Apache-Fineract to be globally recognised  as a state of the art application across all countries,

Posted by Francis Guchie <fr...@gmail.com>.
Dear Zayad,

I agree with you and francisguchie@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com>  in that the application of this may be very complex. But as you inferred, TAX is being applied similarly to how we would want this fee to operate.

Posted by Bharath Gowda <bg...@mifos.org>.
  Hi Zayyad,

Posted by Ankit Muellner <an...@muellners.org>.
+1 on Francis' statement on taking a cautious approach on re-engineering
such feature requests.

a. For emerging economies: Please read Section 3.2.2.  [ADB]. [2016].
[Impact of Restrictions on Interest rates in Microfinance]. [Philippines]:
[Publisher]. © ADB. [
https://www.adb.org/sites/default/files/publication/200141/sdwp-045.pdf][CC
BY 3.0 IGO]. There are also some indicators on *Usury controls and
restrictions* in this.

b. For EU: (2021) Anti Usury Legislations & Micro credit regulations, Pg11
and 12: 14, 15, 16
https://www.european-microfinance.org/sites/default/files/document/file/mr_2021_FP.pdf

c. Pg 565
https://scholarlycommons.law.northwestern.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1678&context=njilb

d. This may also help. https://www.jstor.org/stable/25072920

" A core banking technology plays a very systematic role in settling "*best
practices"* for *sustainable* micro lending."

If the feature is direly needed, please design in such a way that this
computation component of "*COMPOUNDED FEE*" is clearly auditable in
Fineract, to ensure project's transparency and accountability to global
anti usury legislations.
Thanks

Posted by Ankit Muellner <an...@muellners.org>.

Posted by James Dailey <ja...@gmail.com>.