Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2018/07/27 12:50:38 UTC

events.a.o vs a.o/events

Hi, folks,

It's my intent to eliminate apache.org/events, and consolidate into
events.apache.org

Site structure should include at least the following:

Upcoming events, in the following categories:

ApacheCon -> links to apachecon.com, of course
Road shows
Endorsed events (ie, third party stuff like Spark Summit or whatever)
Meetups (this is where http://apache.org/events/meetups.html will end up)

About:

Brief history of ApacheCon, linked over to archive.apachecon.com
Definitions of the above event categories, from recent mailing list
thread and elsewhere

Organizing:

Information and resources for organizing your own event

Please feel free to pitch in if you like, but this is more of a "here's
what I'm doing".

Once I'm done with the first pass, I'll be asking infra to redirect
apache.org/events/* over to events.apache.org

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
http://rcbowen.com/

Re: events.a.o vs a.o/events

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
ok, I've got most of the content consolidated. I've just run into one
problem, and that's http://apache.org/events/README.txt

I can certainly move all of the assets over to the new location, but we
have 66 websites pointing at the old assets, so we have to maintain them
in the current location pretty much indefinitely. It also means that we
have to be more creative about redirection than simply a.o/events/*

I'll draw up a list of everything that needs to be redirected, and open
the infra ticket in a bit.

--Rich

Re: events.a.o vs a.o/events

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

On 07/27/2018 09:15 AM, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
> On 7/27/2018 8:50 AM, Rich Bowen wrote:
>> It's my intent to eliminate apache.org/events, and consolidate into
>> events.apache.org
> +1 assuming you add a quick meta refresh index to redir perhaps?

Redirects will be handled at the server level, rather than at the
content level. I'll be opening a infra ticket as soon as we get to that
point.

Re: events.a.o vs a.o/events

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.