Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jon Card <JC...@crownpartners.com> on 2006/12/27 20:03:45 UTC

Nested modules

I am a consultant specializing in a server system that requires we
develop our code in separate jars, one for interfaces and one for
implementation classes. I'm trying to migrate our developer staff to
Maven and so populating an in-house Maven repository with the .jar files
we need and archetypes we would commonly use. I'm trying to establish an
archetype that creates two nested .jar modules to enforce the project
structure we're going to need, with the implementation jar module
depending on the interface jar module. The only way I've been able to
get this to work is by nesting to two jar projects in
src/main/resources, listing every file in the project (the pom.xml, the
main java class, and the test java class) as resources in archetype.xml
and listing the modules as
es/tbo-impl</module></modules> in the master pom.xml. It doesn't bother
me that the name of the modules is hardcoded, but I'd prefer they were
named after the artifactId of the pom.xml file they contain.

It works, so I'm moving forward, but is there a better way of doing
this?

Jonathan Card

This communication and all accompanying attachments and relatedinformation and data is confidential and proprietary information of Crown Partners, LLC.  This communication is intended solely for receipt by the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.  This communication may contain nonpublic information about individuals and businesses subject to the restrictions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act.  You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which you are receiving the information. 7750 Paragon Rd, Dayton OH 45459.

Re: Nested modules

Posted by franz see <fr...@gmail.com>.
Good day to you, Jon,

I don't think filtering your archetype.xml would work during
archetype:create works. Furthermore, I don't think you can use filtering on
directories.

So I guess, what you're currently doing is the best approach right now. Not
unless you would want to contribute in the maven-archetype-plugin ;-)

Cheers,
Franz