Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by ant elder <an...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/09 09:49:18 UTC

[VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Looks like we've closed all the discussions around this so we can now vote
on it. We've an Incubator discussion thread on our graduation but I don't
see why we can't let that run in parallel, so ...

Please vote on graduating Tuscany as a top level project and the proposal
below.

Heres my +1.

    ...ant

        interests of the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's
        purpose to establish a Project Management Committee charged with
        the creation and maintenance of open-source software that
        simplifies the development and deployment of service oriented
        applications and provides a managed service-oriented runtime
        based on the standards defined by the OASIS OpenCSA group,
        for distribution at no charge to the public.

        Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Tuscany Project",
        Foundation; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the Apache Tuscany Project be and hereby is
        related to Apache Tuscany;
        and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Tuscany" be
        and hereby is created, the person holding such office to
        serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair
        of the Apache Tuscany Project, and to have primary responsibility
        for management of the projects within the scope of
        responsibility of the Apache Tuscany Project; and be it further

        Apache Tuscany Project:

            Adriano Crestani            <adrianocrestani at apache dot org>
            Andrew Borley               <ajborley at apache dot org>
            Andy Grove                   <agrove at apache dot org>
            ant elder                       <antelder at apache dot org>
            Brady Johnson              <bjohnson at apache dot org>
            Frank Budinsky             <frankb at apache dot org>
            Ignacio Silva-Lepe          <isilval at apache dot org>
            Jean-Sebastien Delfino   <jsdelfino at apache dot org>
            kelvin goodson               <kelvingoodson at apache dot org>
            Luciano Resende           <lresende at apache dot org>
            Mike Edwards               <edwardsmj at apache dot org>
            Pete Robbins                <robbinspg at apache dot org>
            Raymond Feng              <rfeng at apache dot org>
            Simon Laws                  <slaws at apache dot org>
            Simon Nash                  <nash at apache dot org>
            Venkata Krishnan          <svkrish at apache dot org>

       NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Ant Elder
        be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Tuscany, to
        serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
        death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
        or until a successor is appointed; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the Apache Tuscany Project be and hereby
        Incubator Tuscany podling; and be it further

        Incubator Tuscany podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator
        Project are hereafter discharged.

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com>.
+1 from beautiful Big Bend National Park!

   Simon

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.
+1

On 09/10/2007, Adriano Crestani <ad...@apache.org> wrote:
> +1 ; )
>
> Adriano Crestani
>
> On 10/9/07, Andrew Borley <aj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > +1
> >
> > On 10/9/07, Amita Vadhavkar <am...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Ant, thanks for starting the thread. +1 from me.
> > >
> > > - Amita

> > now

> > oriented
> > runtime

> > Project",

> > Tuscany" be
> > chair
> > further

> > dot
> > org>
> > dot
> > org>
> > org>

> > Tuscany,
> > the
> > disqualification,

> > Apache

> > Incubator

Pete

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by Adriano Crestani <ad...@apache.org>.
+1 ; )

Posted by Andrew Borley <aj...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Amita Vadhavkar <am...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
> [...]
> >            Raymond Feng              <rfeng at apache dot org>
> >            Simon Laws                  <slaws at apache dot org>
> >            Simon Nash                  <nash at apache dot org>
> >            Venkata Krishnan          <svkrish at apache dot org>
> >
> >       NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Ant Elder
> >        be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Tuscany, to
> >        serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
> >        Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation until
> >        death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
> >        or until a successor is appointed; and be it further
> >
> >       RESOLVED, that the Apache Tuscany Project be and hereby
> >        is tasked with the migration and rationalization of the Apache
> >        Incubator Tuscany podling; and be it further
> >
> >       RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache
> >        Incubator Tuscany podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator

Simon

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by Radim Kolarik <ra...@googlemail.com>.
+1 from me.

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
+1

Paul

On 10/11/07, Andy Grove <an...@codesuccess.com> wrote:
> +1
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy Grove
> http://www.codesuccess.com/blog

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

RE: [VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by Andy Grove <an...@codesuccess.com>.
+1

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Brady Johnson <bj...@roguewave.com>.
+1 from me.

Regards

--------------------

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me

On 10/9/07, Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1 from me.
>
> Thanks,
> Raymond

Luciano Resende
Apache Tuscany Committer
http://people.apache.org/~lresende
http://lresende.blogspot.com/

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me.

Thanks,
Raymond

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.
Folks,

+1 from me

Yours,  Mike.

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.
On 10/9/07, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Looks like we've closed all the discussions around this so we can now vote
> on it. We've an Incubator discussion thread on our graduation but I don't
> see why we can't let that run in parallel, so ...
>
> Please vote on graduating Tuscany as a top level project and the proposal
> below.

+1

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by Frank Budinsky <fr...@ca.ibm.com>.
+1

Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org> wrote on 10/09/2007 10:15:47
AM:

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
+1 from me

Posted by Ignacio Silva-Lepe <is...@gmail.com>.
+1

Thanks Ant.

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@apache.org>.
+1

Kelvin.

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com>.
Paul Fremantle wrote:

>>I'll leave that thread going for a day or two more to see if there are any
>>last comments, then we need to decide what to do. There's been a bit of
>>spin
>>and FUD around the diversity issue, we do more than meet the minimum
>>requirements, but given the muddied waters how about waiting a little
>>before
>>restarting the vote? We've at least a couple of new committers coming up,
>>and there is that ongoing discussion about non-day job committers, so i
>>think it may be better to wait for those so we can be really comfortable
>>with the diversity when calling the new vote.
>

> I'd like to see more discussion from the members of the IPMC. Frankly it is
> very difficult for a podling to navigate the IPMC and the graduation process
> without more feedback. The main discussion (aside from wordsmithing) on this
> VOTE thread has been from one interested party, two mentors, and one IPMC
> member.
>
> If the major corporate (IBM) only had a few committers then this vote would
> have gone through. However, even with the two additional committers that are
> being voted now, the numeric weight of IBM's involvement is always going to
> make this project look wierd if you just look at percentages. But the
> Podling graduation process is not meant to be about percentages. (Its also
> worth pointing out that at least three of the committers from IBM are NOT
> paid to work on Tuscany as a day job.) But the point I'm trying to make is
> that this project is no less diverse because it has a strong input from one
> company. Despite that strong block of committers, the project has a very
> open and welcoming feel, is constantly attracting a steady feed of new
> committers and interest, and is growing organically.

I agree with all of this.  If the percentage principle were to be applied,
it would mean Tuscany could be in a better position to graduate by dropping
some IBM committers.  (I am NOT suggesting this.)  It's only a problem
having a large number of committers from one company if they operate as a
clique having non-open discussions or a "power block" driving a non-open
agenda, or are comfortable remaining as a dominant group and don't welcome
new contributors and committers.  In the case of Tuscany, I believe the
IBM committers are making every effort to avoid these types of behavior.

   Simon

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.

Re: Diversity requirement

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Wednesday 31 October 2007 16:42, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Another thing that worries me a bit is projects coming in with a large
> (N=more than 3 or 5?) number of committers from the same organization,
> especially people who have no previous Apache or open source committer
> experience.

I agree...

> Do we want to set a limit on N, to give the project more
> chances to reach the necessary diversity?

... but a hard number is probably a bad idea. It depends on so many factors.
The graduation committer list is more important, and since we have not figure
that one out (or have I missed that), I think it is a bit early to talk about
the "incoming list".

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Re: Diversity requirement

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Wednesday 31 October 2007 12:30, Matt Hogstrom wrote:
> I know on Geronimo, and i suspect other projects as well,
> that there have been many times that people that worked for the same
> company voted differently so I don't think its totally pointless but I
> understand the concern.

I would also suspect that voting is less of an issue (at least from
perspective) than "company decides to focus on other things and drops
financial support" kind of issues...

I kind of think that technical merit will succeed most of the time. An
exception to that, that I can think of, might be when existing codebases are
to merge into one. I think we have seen that a couple of times already...

Cheers

Re: Diversity requirement

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
On Oct 30, 2007, at 11:16 PM, Erik Abele wrote:

> Well, usually our voting guidelines require three +1 etc. so for
> example having only three committers from a single company makes
> voting kind of pointless :-)

Perhaps.  I know on Geronimo, and i suspect other projects as well,

Re: Diversity requirement

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.
On Oct 31, 2007 2:45 PM, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:

> Matthieu Riou wrote:
>
> > IMHO 3 legally independent committers can be very hard requirement,
> > especially for small sized project.
>
> How hard is it for users when the company paying them all abandons the
> project, and we don't have enough mass and diversity for it to continue?
> And that is just one effect of insufficient diversity, to to mention the
> benefits of diversity in decision making.

Actually this comment was due to my misunderstanding of the "independent
committers" formulation, I thought it meant independent as not working for
any commercial entity instead of not working in the same company.  Bill
clarified it and I'm totally fine with that. I'm not arguing against the
benefits of diversity, I just wanted to make sure the incubator could remain
relatively "small project friendly".

Cheers,
Matthieu

Re: Diversity requirement

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.
On 10/30/07, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

> Matthieu Riou wrote:

> single
> >> What does legally independent mean?  Not paid by the same company to
> >> work on a project?  I'd be ok with that.
> >
> > My interpretation is not paid by anybody to work on the project. Could
> be
> > the wrong interpretation though, but then the phrasing is maybe not that
> > clear. They should be described as being independent from *each other*.
>
> :)  Yes you read too much into it, independent of one another (not
> partners,
> employees etc of the same organization, other than the ASF itself).

Sounds better this way, thanks for clarifying :)

Matthieu

This would /include/ a pending assemblage of people, so if five folks get

Re: Diversity requirement

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Re: Diversity requirement

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.

Re: Diversity requirement

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On 10/31/07, Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> wrote:

> On Oct 30, 2007, at 11:58 PM, Matthieu Riou wrote:
>
> > "there are at least 3 legally independent committers and there is no
> > single
> > company or entity that is vital to the success of the project"
>
> What does legally independent mean?  Not paid by the same company to
> work on a project?  I'd be ok with that.

I thought i had seen a web page with more about what independent meant but
now i can't find anything other than this email from a wiki edit which says:

"The legal definition of independent is long and boring, but basically it
means that there is no binding relationship between the individuals, such as
a shared employer, that is capable of overriding their free will as
individuals, directly or indirectly."

- http://marc.info/?l=incubator-cvs&m=106976845317594&w=2

   ...ant

Re: Diversity requirement

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

RE: Diversity requirement

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Re: Diversity requirement

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.
On 10/30/07, Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de> wrote:

> <snip>
> So the absolute minimum should be three committers with at least two
> different entities behind them (e.g. two companies, or at least one
> independent, etc.) - OTOH I think the current rules outlined at [1]
> are perfectly fine.

I'd be fine with that as well but that's not what the policy says [1]:

"there are at least 3 legally independent committers and there is no single
company or entity that is vital to the success of the project"

IMHO 3 legally independent committers can be very hard requirement,
especially for small sized project.

Cheers,
Matthieu

[1]
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Graduating+from+the+Incubator

Re: Diversity requirement

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.
On 31.10.2007, at 03:54, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> I didn't see a thread get started on this topic yet but I've been
> mulling this over for a bit so perhaps we can continue the
> discussion in this thread?
>
> I'm not sure that there should be a hard requirement for 3, 5 or n
> unique committers.  As a guideline I think three is a good working
> number but the more important issue is the Incubator PMC's
> understanding of the community as they've conducted themselves and
> the iPMC's collective view on the project's viability going
> forward....

Well, usually our voting guidelines require three +1 etc. so for
example having only three committers from a single company makes
voting kind of pointless :-)

Or at least it creates the impression for other contributors that the
project is solely led by that company...

So the absolute minimum should be three committers with at least two
different entities behind them (e.g. two companies, or at least one
independent, etc.) - OTOH I think the current rules outlined at [1]
are perfectly fine.

> Anyway, with my recent changes it caused me to think more about the
> people than a set of requirements.  IMO Jim and Noel expressing
> their concern and causing this discussion and deeper inspection of
> the project is the right process and makes a lot of sense.

Absolutely but IMHO we simply need some rules/requirements/guidelines
to set a suitable framework.

Cheers,
Erik

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#community

Re: Diversity requirement

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Thursday 01 November 2007 01:26, Craig L Russell wrote:
> And I certainly wouldn't want to see an arbitrary cutoff of
> prospective Apache committers just because of their affiliation.

Agree, especially if there has been a large set of folks working on the
codebase that is on the way in. So, it comes back to the graduation. Who of
those on the initial committer list have participated "TheApacheWay". Those
who hasn't; Why should they remain committers and PMC members?
And if that sounds reasonable, then the hard nut is "How to determine that?"

Cheers
Niclas

Re: Diversity requirement

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi,

On Oct 31, 2007, at 1:42 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Another thing that worries me a bit is projects coming in with a large
> (N=more than 3 or 5?) number of committers from the same organization,
> especially people who have no previous Apache or open source committer
> experience. Do we want to set a limit on N, to give the project more
> chances to reach the necessary diversity?
>
> -Bertrand

 From my perspective, having a large number of committers from one
organization with little Apache experience is an opportunity as much
as a potential problem. With one project, we can convert a large
number of folks to "the Apache Way".

I'd caution that such a project might take more conscientious
mentoring than other projects, but there's a large reward.

And I certainly wouldn't want to see an arbitrary cutoff of
prospective Apache committers just because of their affiliation.

Craig

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: Diversity requirement

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On 10/31/07, Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ...I just don't think that placing limits on new committers who are nominated
> by merit during incubation is right....

Totally agreed, committers nominated during incubation are subject to
the normal ASF "filters" so there's no problem with that.

-Bertrand

Re: Diversity requirement

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Oct 31, 2007, at 8:38 AM, Paul Fremantle wrote:

> Bertrand
>
> Sorry - I misunderstood your point. I would be very happy to limit the
> number of INITIAL committers! Yes +1.

If it makes sense to do so, then +1. But to do so just to
create a mistaken impression that the podling is, *at this particular
stage*, mostly a 1 company/organization/entity project doesn't
really change things, I think.

> I just don't think that placing limits on new committers who are
> nominated
> by merit during incubation is right.

Big +1.

Re: Diversity requirement

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Bertrand

On 10/31/07, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 10/31/07, Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > ...if
> > we explicitly try to *limit* participation in a project then we are
> doing
> > two things:
> > 1. Discouraging involvement - the opposite of the aim of the incubator
> > 2. Ruling out meritocracy - making it harder for some people to become
> > committers than others - the opposite of the aim of the ASF....
>
> I tend to agree to your view, but I don't get point 2 above.
>
> Getting committership when a new incubating project comes is makes it
> *very easy* for people to become ASF committers: they basically just
> have to be on the list of initial committers. And they stay there even
> if they do nothing for the project.
>
> By limiting the number of committers from the same organization when a
> project enter incubation, we might force the organization to select
> the best people to drive the project, and others would have to enter
> the normal way, with the project's mentors having their say.
>
> It does make it harder for those people excluded from the initial list
> to enter the project, but not harder than for any other potential
> committer. So I would think that's fair, and that might help community
> diversity in incubating projects, even if that means a longer
> incubation time.
>
> That limit might also be a ratio: if a projects enters incubation with
> 10 committers from the same company and 10 independent existing apache
> committers, fine. But a large non-diverse list of initial committers
> sounds wrong to me.
>
> -Bertrand

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: Diversity requirement

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: Diversity requirement

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.

> Another thing that worries me a bit is projects coming in with a large
> (N=more than 3 or 5?) number of committers from the same organization,
> especially people who have no previous Apache or open source committer
> experience. Do we want to set a limit on N, to give the project more
> chances to reach the necessary diversity?

To be honest, I think this is not the major issue. I think the major issue
is if CorporateX pulls out of a project, can it survive. Now I admit, if
CorporateX has made 99% of commits, then its going to be hard. However, if
we explicitly try to *limit* participation in a project then we are doing
two things:
1. Discouraging involvement - the opposite of the aim of the incubator
2. Ruling out meritocracy - making it harder for some people to become
committers than others - the opposite of the aim of the ASF.

I think it is vital that we treat this issue with a wide perspective.

Paul

--
Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: Diversity requirement

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On 10/31/07, Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> wrote:

> ...the more important issue is the Incubator PMC's
> understanding of the community as they've conducted themselves and the
> iPMC's collective view on the project's viability going forward....

Agreed, but currently as an IPMC member I have a hard time keeping up
with all projects.

So I think this comes back, as already suggested, to having some form
of mentors "report on community diversity" when the time comes to
graduate. The mentors are in the best position to get a feel for the
actual diversity, based on the indicators defined in [1], which I
agree is basically fine.

Re: Diversity requirement

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
I didn't see a thread get started on this topic yet but I've been
mulling this over for a bit so perhaps we can continue the discussion
in this thread?

I'm not sure that there should be a hard requirement for 3, 5 or n
unique committers.  As a guideline I think three is a good working
number but the more important issue is the Incubator PMC's
understanding of the community as they've conducted themselves and the
iPMC's collective view on the project's viability going forward.  This
is an ASF wide issue but the Incubator is the gateway for healthy
communities to be brought into the ASF so my context for this
discussion is the Incubator.

The reason I make this comment is I recently changed roles at my
company and will be investing less time in Geronimo than I was
previously.  This doesn't change my desire to participate and work on
the project, it changes the amount of time I have to participate :)

For the record, I work for IBM but have no stake in Tuscany one way or
the other from an IBM perspective (heh, my new role is playing with
hardware and virtualization technology) and generally I tend to be
more critical of IBM heavy projects so I can do my best to have a
balanced view (perhaps even leaning  a little against IBM).

With this recent change in my role it occurred to me that my
affiliation with the Geronimo is more about my personal interest in
the project as opposed to it being part of a job requirement.
Certainly not all committers are in that same position so we can't
simply assume that everyone's interest in a project is a personal
passion either. The point being that our confidence in a project
should be based on the individuals and their behaviours rather than a
hard and fast affiliation requirement; which does change over time.

As far as Tuscany is concerned, the community has been chugging for
quite some time and it appears that they are not losing steam (sure
they can later, but so can every project when its goals are met).
They've weathered some challenging storms (a fork of the code base and
community normalization issues) and yet despite the challenges they
are still making progress.  I think they are in pretty good shape and
I respect the opinion of the mentors which seem to indicate they are
satisfied as well.

My point is that we have sufficient evidence that the community
conducts itself well, can weather the storms and has a growing base of
interest. I think once they complete their resolution text (and with
their new committers ta boot) they should probably bring their vote
forward again.

Anyway, with my recent changes it caused me to think more about the
people than a set of requirements.  IMO Jim and Noel expressing their
concern and causing this discussion and deeper inspection of the
project is the right process and makes a lot of sense.

Just my $0.02

Re: Diversity requirement

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.
On 10/20/07, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 10/20/07, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > ...This is the Tuscany community vote result thread which was only on
> the
> > tuscany-dev list but seems to have inadvertently been replied to to the
> > general@ list....
>
> BTW, that message says
>
> > ...given the muddied waters how about waiting a little before
> > restarting the vote?...
>
> Is that what's happening now, i.e. does the Tuscany PPMC consider this
> IPMC vote thread cancelled?

Yes, i'd posted to the thread earlier saying i'd restart it once the
proposal words had been settle on, but looks like we'll need to wait now.
I'll post to the vote thread now to make this clear.

   ...ant

Diversity requirement

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> My feeling is that the Incubator PMC needs to clarify our diversity
> requirements, so waiting a bit is probably a good thing.

"Our" being whom?  The ASF as a whole is what I hope the answer is, since otherwise it would be some artificial Incubation requirement, and that wasn't the intent.

Diversity is important for community health.  It helps with collaborative decision making, provides more fertile ideas, protects against the fallout from a vendor ceasing its involvement in a project, etc.

	--- Noel

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On 10/20/07, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ...This is the Tuscany community vote result thread which was only on the
> tuscany-dev list but seems to have inadvertently been replied to to the
> general@ list....

BTW, that message says

> ...given the muddied waters how about waiting a little before
> restarting the vote?...

Is that what's happening now, i.e. does the Tuscany PPMC consider this
IPMC vote thread cancelled?

My feeling is that the Incubator PMC needs to clarify our diversity
requirements, so waiting a bit is probably a good thing.

As Jim hinted elsewhere in this thread, some form of "diversity
report" from the mentors would probably help the IPMC a lot in making
a decision about graduation.

And that's not only for Tuscany: we have several incubating projects
now where companies have quite a lot of weight, so similar situations
seem to be bound to happen more often in the near future.

-Bertrand

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On 10/19/07, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:

> Please don't use [RESULT] in a thread that is still on-going.  There may
> have been a result in the Tuscany PPMC, but there is no result yet from
> the
> Incubator PMC.

This is the Tuscany community vote result thread which was only on the
tuscany-dev list but seems to have inadvertently been replied to to the
general@ list. Apologies to those over here, please  just ignore it.

   ...ant

RE: [RESULT][VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by Adriano Crestani <ad...@apache.org>.
+1 ; )

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.