Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Francois Beausoleil <fr...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/03 00:26:25 UTC

Re: BUG in svn switch with A+ files

Hi !

2007/1/31, Mycroft Holmes <ps...@gmail.com>:
> [C:\Files\r2]svn switch svn://localhost/test/release/r2
> svn: Failed to add file 'd.txt': object of the same name already exists

This is not a bug.  After the copy, the WC still points to the
original location, and still has the original modifications.  You'd
have to revert, remove unknown files, and then switch.

I know what you want to achieve:  svn should notice that both files
are "the same".  Except, they aren't.  If you create the file, copy,
then change the file again, what should Subversion do ?  Replace your
local mods ?  That's a no.  Subversion is very careful about never
losing the user's data.

Hope that helps.
--
François Beausoleil
http://blog.teksol.info/

Re: BUG in svn switch with A+ files

Posted by Mycroft Holmes <ps...@gmail.com>.

> This is not a bug.  After the copy, the WC still points to the
> original location,

correct

and still has the original modifications.

in general correct, but in this case it has NO local modifications...

You'd
> have to revert, remove unknown files, and then switch.

Yup, but this sounds like a workaround...

I know what you want to achieve:  svn should notice that both files
> are "the same".  Except, they aren't.

No, they are :)

1) I agree that in general, when svn finds LOCAL modifications, it should
stop.
2) I deduce that "adding a file with history" is somehow considered a "local
modifcation to the working copy", but the error message is at least
misleading.
3) I think 'svn switch' should be added a '--force' option

I'm not sure if in this case a simple "--relocate" would help (maybe
relocate + update?)